Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2000 F-150: overdrive..roughly every 30,000 miles..flushed

Why does my 2000 F-150 occasionally shift hard into overdrive? It has 168,000 miles and I have had the fluid changed roughly every 30,000 miles. I had it changed (not flushed) at 160,000. Since then it started shifting hard into the last gear (most of the time). I typically drive on the highway back and forth to work so at low speeds I leave the O/D off and once I am at 55 mph I push the O/D button. If I do this it shifts normally. It almost seems like it shifts too early if I leave the O/D on when I accelerate. If it not an easy/cheap fix I will likely continue to manually shift into O/D.
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

Hello, I'm Chris. I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

The fluid level needs to be at the full mark when idling in park hot, not just i nthe crosshatch. There many differnt things which can cause a harsh 3-4 shift. Below is the symptom chart from ford for this issue and I have highlighted the common causes, all of which are going to result in a overhaul needing to be performed.

Full Size Image