lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

Indicator light on dash looks like an open ended wrench?

indicator light on dash looks like an open ended wrench?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 3 years ago.
Hi this is lostrider, thats a warning indicator to the driver that there is a fault in the power train control system and the vehicle has gone into limp home operation or a problem with the transmission has been detected and the shifting may be restricted, you need to contact you local dealer and have the power train system looked at and diagnoised to see what system the problem is in and have it corrected, depending on the problem the check engine light may come on and the system will display pull over safely in the message center and the truck will shut down, hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we are driving and the light came on but while waiting for answer light went off there is no difference in performance is it possible it was faulty

Expert:  lostrider replied 3 years ago.
No, that light comes on when the power train control module sees a sensor or component that is out of the set range that is programed into the module, the PCM is continuously monitoring the sensors on the engine, exhaust and the transmission and if it sees a sensor out of range for 1 drive cycle it will turn on the wrench light, if it sees it for 3 drive cycles it will turn on the check engine light, what may have happened is it seen something it didn't like and then on the next drive cycle it was within range and turned the wrench back off, but chances are it will come back on, but since its off I would continue to drive the truck until it reappears and then get it to the dealership for diagnosis, we have been having some problems with the exhaust gas temperature sensors causing the concern your having.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.