Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.

why does my e250 ford van hesitation and stumble during acceleration.i

Customer Question

why does my e250 ford van hesitation and stumble during acceleration.i have changed pcm,plugs checked timing chain it does this worse when engine warms up.changed the cam sensor. ihave had it at the ford grarge for four weeks.the could not fixthe problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the great question.

It is possible that you have a fuel delivery problem. You will need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and hose long enough to drive and watch what the fuel pressure is doing especially under a load. Let me know what the pressure reading is. Could be a faulty fuel pump. If that is the case, replace fuel pump.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i checked the fuel pressure key on motor off ithas 40lb it drop to 35 during accelertaion I am changing the pump i beleive it is alittle short i will let u know tomoro how it does.

Ok, sounds good.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ichanged the fuel pump today pressure improved about 4lb. but did fix problem.If u stoXXXXX XXXXXght it is hard to get moving it stumbles and back fire in exaust once u get some speed up it will go on good does this worse when motor get warm.

Thanks

What engine do you have?

Did you ever have any codes in the computer? What were they?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is a4.2 v6 engine it does have 2 code one si for cam sensor i cant rember the code number the other is p1000.I change the cam sensor complete with a/m one then ford grarage changed it with one from ford. i will get the codes on monday and send them to u .This one will go down in history ha. thanks J.N.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I back with more info the codes ar po340 camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction the other is p1000 obd II monitor test drive cycle not complete. thvan 58,168 miles on it. I have changed the cam sensor,spark plugs,fuel filter,fuel pump we have 42lb.with key on motor off.35 to 42 motor running. I change maf sensor and crank sensor.no results.Went to ford garage they changed the stator assy.,the synchronizer assy.the ecm module. they removed timing cover and reset timing. inspected the wiring harness all of this with no results. when you stop and try to accelerate it bucks sputters after you get some rpms up it runs good at high rpms. It seems to be a little beter when cold.Checked wire plugs and cleaned them no results.If you have a suggestion le me know thanks for your help. J N

Wow, I'm not sure what you have going on there. I will opt out and let another tech read this, and maybe they have run into something like this.

Thanks

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Does the van or engine make a squealing nosies like a loose belt when it acts up?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
TSB
02-22-1
  • DRIVEABILITY - SURGE/ROLLING IDLE - GEAR DRIVEN SYNCHRONIZERS - INCORRECT INSTALLATION - CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER (CMP) INSTALLATION TOOL CORRECT APPLICATION
  • ENGINE - GEAR DRIVEN SYNCHRONIZERS - INCORRECT INSTALLATION - CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER (CMP) INSTALLATION TOOL CORRECT APPLICATION
Publication Date: October 25, 2002

FORD:1994-1997 THUNDERBIRD
1995-2003 TAURUS
1996-2003 MUSTANG
1995-1997 AEROSTAR
1995-2003 RANGER, WINDSTAR
1996-2000 EXPLORER
1997-2003 E SERIES, F-150
MERCURY:1994-1997 COUGAR
1995-2003 SABLE
1997-2000 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:

Incorrectly installed gear driven camshaft position (CMP) sensor synchronizer assemblies may be hard to diagnose. Vehicle may exhibit poor fuel economy, driveability Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P1336, P1309, P0340 with MIL light on. Loss of power, surge, hesitation and runs rough on acceleration may also be present.

ACTION:

New diagnostics have been developed for WDS to diagnose incorrectly installed gear driven camshaft position (CMP) synchronizer assemblies. Refer to the following Service Procedure to diagnose a possible mis-installed synchronizer assembly and proper installation procedure.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Items Covered In This Article:

• "Hall" vs. "VRS" sensor function
  • Vehicle history scrutiny for past service of the synchronizer assembly
  • WDS - Power balance test
  • WDS - CMP and CKP wave signal comparison
  • Wave Comparison chart - CMP vs. CKP
  • Correct (CMP) synchronizer installation tool application & installation procedure
  • "Top Dead Center" (TDC) alignment
  • Synchronizer installation tool application chart

Hall - Effect (Hall) and Variable Reluctance (VRS) CMP Sensors

CMP sensors are used on all current model year engines, regardless of fuel system or ignition system type. The CMP sensor provides the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with cam position information to indicate # XXXXX cylinder, on the compression stroke

There are two different types of CMP sensors:

• The three- pin, Hall-effect sensor (Figure 1)
  • The two-pin Variable Reluctance sensor (Figure 1)

Although the Hall-effect (three-pin) and the Variable Reluctance (two-pin) CMP sensors perform the same function, their signal appearance is quite different and they are not interchangeable.

• The three-pin Hall-effect sensor uses a Hall effect device and a magnet to generate a digital square wave signal (Figure 2)
  • The two-pin Variable Reluctance sensor is a magnetic transducer, which uses differential voltage across windings to generate a voltage waveform that is similar to a sine wave (Figure 2)

Both sensors provide a switching voltage as the engine rotates.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

If you suspect that a vehicle (engine) may have had the synchronizer assembly (Figure 3) installed incorrectly, check the vehicle history to see if related service has been performed. If you determine that the synchronizer could have been installed incorrectly, use the following procedure with WDS to verify correct installation (Figure 5).

NOTE:CORRECT CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY INSTALLATION IS CRITICAL. AN INCORRECTLY INSTALLED SYNCHRONIZER CAN CAUSE HARD TO DIAGNOSE DRIVEABILITY CONDITIONS AND POSSIBLE SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE.

Reasons for incorrect installation are:

• Not setting the # XXXXX cylinder on Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke
  • Use of the incorrect camshaft synchronizer tool for installation
  • Incorrect alignment of the synchronizer tool

Power Balance Test In WDS

The WDS Power Balance Test can be used to quickly determine if the CMP synchronizer assembly is installed incorrectly. Use the following procedure.

1. Run the vehicle while viewing the power balance test in WDS to insure that no engine misses are occurring.
  2. Shut the engine off and remove the # XXXXX cylinder injector electrical connector.
  3. Start the engine and view the WDS power balance test.
  4. The test should indicate a power loss in the # XXXXX cylinder (Figure 4).
    • If the # XXXXX cylinder is indicated, then the CMP synchronizer assembly IS NOT grossly mis-installed. (Figure 4) Continue to Step 5 in this procedure
    • If any other cylinder is indicated during the power balance test, then the CMP synchronizer assembly HAS BEEN INSTALLED INCORRECTLY, and must be reinstalled. (Refer to the installation procedure, tool chart and TDC reference described in this TSB, or refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 303-14, Synchronizer-Camshaft).
  5. If power loss is indicated in the # XXXXX cylinder (Figure 4), connect a 104 pin break-out box between the PCM and the PCM electrical connector.
  6. Insert the red WDS probe into pin # XXXXX and the black WDS probe into pin # XXXXX of the break-out Box.
  7. Select oscilloscope from the WDS Toolbox.
  8. Select "Channel one Auto Mode", then select the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
  9. Select "Channel two Auto Mode", then select the CMP sensor based on whether it is a VRS (2-pin) or Hall-effect (3 pin) CMP sensor.
  10. Press the start button and view both the CKP sensor as well as the CMP sensor signals. Figure 6, 7 and 8).
  11. Compare the wave forms of both sensors.
    • The missing tooth of the CKP sensor trigger wheel will be shown on the screen as an extra space between the wave forms. This position is 60° Before Top Dead Center (BTDC)
    • The upper peaks of the wave form are each spaced 10° of crankshaft rotation apart
    • The CMP timing setting on all current 6-cylinder engines should be between 10 and 40° After Top Dead Center (ATDC)

On all Hall-effect sensors, the CMP wave form rising edge should occur between the 7th and the 10th peak past the missing tooth. (Figure 6)

On the VRS sensors (except 5.0L engines), the falling edge of the CMP waveform should cross the zero reference line between the 7th and 10th peak past the missing tooth waveform. (Figure 7).

On 5.0L engines with a VRS CMP sensor, the falling edge waveform should cross the zero reference line between the 6th and the 9th peak past the CKP missing tooth (Figure 8).

On 5.0L engines with a Hall-effect VRS CMP sensor, the rising edge of the wave form should occur between the 6th and 9th peak past the CKP missing tooth wave form.

(CMP) SYNCHRONIZER INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Set the # XXXXX cylinder on Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke.

NOTE:THE # XXXXX CYLINDER MUST BE SET ON TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC) OF THE COMPRESSION STROKE OR THE SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY WILL NOT BE INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

2. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  3. Remove the CMP sensor from the synchronizer assembly.
  4. Remove the synchronizer clamp (hold down bolt) and remove the synchronizer assembly.

NOTE:IN SOME CASES THE OIL PUMP INTERMEDIATE SHAFT MAY NOT COME OUT WITH THE SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY. IF SO, RETRIEVE THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT BEFORE PROCEEDING.

5. After performing the required service and before beginning the installation of the synchronizer assembly, ALWAYS COAT THE SYNCHRONIZER DRIVE GEAR WITH CLEAN ENGINE OIL PRIOR TO INSTALLATION.
  6. Install the correct engine and model year synchronizer alignment installation tool. Install the tool to the synchronizer assembly by rotating the tool until it engages the notches in the camshaft synchronizer housing and the armature (Figure 10).

CAUTION:SOME OF THE TOOLS WILL FIT ACROSS ENGINE LINES AND COULD BE PERCEIVED AS BEING THE CORRECT TOOL. ALTHOUGH THE TOOLS MAY APPEAR SIMILAR, THERE ARE SUBTLE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THEM, ALWAYS CHECK THE TOOL APPLICATION CHART PROVIDED IN THIS TSB (FIGURE 9).

7. During the installation of the synchronizer assembly (with the tool attached) into the engine, the arrow on the tool will rotate until the intermediate shaft and the camshaft gear fully engage.

NOTE:THE ARROW WILL ROTATE CLOCKWISE OR COUNTER CLOCKWISE DEPENDING ON THE ENGINE TYPE AND ENGINE ROTATION.

8. Install the camshaft synchronizer assembly so the arrow on the installation tool (Figure 3) is in the correct position as specified in the appropriate model year vehicle and engine. (Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-14, Synchronizer-Camshaft).
  9. Install the synchronizer clamp (bolt) before removing the installation tool. Tighten to 18 Lb-ft (25 N-m).
  10. Remove the installation tool.
  11. Install the CMP sensor. Tighten to 27 Lb-in (3 N-m).
  12. Install battery ground cable.

CAUTION:DO NOT LOOSEN THE SYNCHRONIZER BOLT AND ROTATE THE SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY. THE SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY IS NOT ADJUSTABLE; DO NOT LOOSEN THE SYNCHRONIZER BOLT AFTER THE ALIGNMENT TOOL HAS BEEN REMOVED IN ORDER TO ALIGN THE CMP ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR FOR ANY REASON. IF THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR IS NOT IN THE CORRECT POSITION, THE SYNCHRONIZER ASSEMBLY HAS TO BE REMOVED, THE ALIGNMENT TOOL REINSTALLED AND THE ASSEMBLY REINSTALLED ASSUMING THE ENGINE HAS NOT BEEN ROTATED FROM TDC OF THE COMPRESSION STROKE ON # XXXXX CYLINDER.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WE HAVE CHECKED AND TRIED TIMING 2 TIMES COULD THIS HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

If your fuel pressure is 42 lbs under a load and 32 at idle then fuel pressure is ok.

If you are throwing a code p0340 and it is acting up then it is a cam sensor or drive or alignment issue.

You have replaced the synchronizer right?

You used a lab scope and adjusted the cam sensor to the crank sensor correct?

Wave pattern should look like this with lab scope

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I LET THE FORD GARAGE DO THE LAST CAM SENSOR I DONT KNOW WHAT USED .I DONT HAVE A LAB SCOPE BUT I AM SURE IT IS NOT A .TIMING PROBLEM WE ARE CHANGING THE COIL PACK I WILL LET U KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. WE WILL HAVE A NEW FORD AFTER A WHILE HA.JN

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
ok sounds good
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
steve i changed the coil pack and fixed the problem it was cross firing between the spark plugs causing the camsensor code to come on. i reset the code and it never came back. we now have that new ford van. i was able to deliver it to the customer today. this might be of help to u in the future.dont fill bad i been at this for 50 years I will use u in the future. J N
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

sometime tough to diag over the Internet without hands on and test equipment

Glad you fixed it

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for letting me know what the fix was.

I can use this example for future concerns. once again thanks.