AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Ford Expedition 4x4, brake pedal is fading and Ive replaced

Customer Question

2001 Ford Expedition 4x4, brake pedal is fading and I've replaced the master cylinder with a rebuilt one. The problem was still there, so I replaced it again, this time with a new master cylinder. I've bled the brakes several times and still have fading brake pedal when sitting at a stop light. Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

I have a feeling the caliper slides are the culprit. I would rec to replace the front calipers. But first, you are going to have to pin point what is causing the spongy pedal. This is done by clamping off all four brake lines at the hoses by each wheel. Start the vehicle up and check the pedal. Chances are that it is nice and firm. If it is not, the master cylinder is at fault and will need to be replaced (or there is simply air in the system). If the brake pedal is nice and firm, disconnect the clamps one by one and see what makes the most difference when doing this. If its in the front, than the calipers will need to be replaced (sometimes one of the caliper slides stick and the other one is free witch causes the caliper to flex when stepping on the pedal and results in a spongy pedal.) If its in the rear than something may be broke or they are way out of adjustment!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have spongy pedal, the pedal is solid but if you hold your foot on the pedal for more than 15 seconds, it starts to fade.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Ok... what does it do when you do this test?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry...don't know what you mean...what test? After everything was done that I'd mentioned before, what I'm saying is that the pedal will still eventually fade to the floor while sitting at a stop sign.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Clamp off all four brake lines at the hoses by each wheel. Start the vehicle up and check the pedal. Chances are that it is nice and firm. If it is not, then disconnect the clamps one by one and see what makes the most difference when doing this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This Expedition has 4-wheel disc brakes and does not have a spongy pedal. It just fades away while you're sitting at a stop light. Thanks for your time, but this isn't helping me with my problem. I've been a mechanic for many years, and this is just one problem that has me stumped. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
THis test will help you diagnose the problem. I will be able to pinpoint your problem if you do the test and let me know the results. I have done this many times before with great success.

Edited by AMEDEE on 8/12/2010 at 1:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
While I'm sure you're probably a great mechanic, this hasn't helped me solve my problem at all. I've been a mechanic for many years, and I understand what you're saying...but that's not the issue. I do not have a spongy pedal and have tried everything I can think of. Regardless, the brake pedal will still go to the floor if you've got your foot on it at a stoplight, or for more than 10-15 seconds. I guess I'll keep trying until I figure something out myself. I don't know how to get my deposit back, but I'm sure that's not your fault. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

Read this...

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3venz-i-have-a-1997-dodge-1500-x-xxxxx-xxxxx-4-wheel-anilock-brakes

I have been helping another gentleman with a problem very similar to yours. Even though his vehicle is a dodge, the principle is still the same. Please read through it and you will see that this procedure is working for this mechanic.

Edited by AMEDEE on 8/13/2010 at 8:58 PM EST
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

I am just checking up on you.

Did you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Expedition belonged to a friend of mine, and the problem was not solved. They've picked the car up, and I'm not sure what they're going to do now. I had worked on it for days, tried everything, same results...problem not solved. There's no need for me to contact you further for this problem. This one stumped the best of us.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

Well, it is up to you... but I would be happy to help you out if you have any further questions.

Let me know!