Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

How do you replace the alternator in a 2003 Ford Escape 3.0L

How do you replace the alternator in a 2003 Ford Escape 3.0L V6 engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

You will need the remove the right side cv shaft and right side splash shield to access and remove it:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

3. Negative battery cable
  4. Right side cv and intermediate axle shaft
  5. Right side splash shield and retainers
  6. Drive belt
  7. Alternator electrical connectors
  8. Alternator.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Alternator mounting-3.0L engine

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

2. Alternator. Torque the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
  3. the rest is reversal of removal procedure

CV SHAFT:

Removal & Installation

2. Place the transmission in the PARK position.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

4. Negative battery cable
  5. Front wheel
  6. Front brake disc
  7. Front axle wheel hub nut and discard the nut
  8. Tie rod end and separate the lower ball from the steering knuckle
  9. Halfshaft from the steering knuckle
  10. Halfshaft

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Front halfshaft

To install:

1. When seated properly, the halfshaft bearing retainer circlip will snap into the differential side gear groove.
  2. Position the halfshaft and joint so that the splines align with differential side gear splines. Push the halfshaft into side gear.
  3. Install or connect the following:

Halfshaft into the steering knuckle Lower ball joint to steering knuckle. Torque the pinch bolt to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm). Tie rod end. Torque the nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm). New front axle wheel hub nut. Torque the nut to 214 ft. lbs. (290 Nm). Front brake disc Front wheel Negative battery cable
  4. Check the fluid level and adjust as needed

NOTE If removing the intermediate shaft in order to repair a separate component, it should only be removed as an assembly with the right front halfshaft.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Intermediate shaft

• Remove the right front halfshaft.
  • Remove the inner halfshaft bearing retainer nuts
  • Remove the intermediate shaft
  • To install, reverse the removal procedure. Apply a thin coat of grease to the splines of the intermediate shaft.
  • Verify the front axle lubricant level is to specifications
  • Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Before i close off, would you know how i remove the drivebelt? Thank you.
    Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, forgot to add that. Here you go:

use a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar and insert the square drive into the square hole in the belt tensioner and rotate counterclockwise to release tension on belt to remove

Click image to see an enlarged view

graphic

Edited by Eric on 8/11/2010 at 3:53 PM EST
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    Thanks for your quick response Eric .You have been a tremendous help and it was nice talking to you again.