A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1984 ford f150: I put a new solenoid in..jumping..starts right

I have a 1984 ford f150. I put a new solenoid in and the only way it starts is by jumping it by touching the two sides with two wrenches . It starts right up.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

You will need to check and see if you are getting power at the small post on the starter relay (solenoid).

graphic

The small post gets power from the ignition switch when you try to start the truck. See if you are getting power at the small post on the relay.

If not, let me know, we will have to check the ignition switch. They are know to come apart and cause the same problem.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my solenoid has to small connections which one does it go on
It should go on the top one, but make sure you have power to the small wire first. If you have not touched the relay or the wiring to it, check for power first. If you have, then put the wire on the other post only if you get power to the wire when you try to start the truck.