Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

I have a 1993 Ford Tempo, 2.3L engine. I am having a high idle

I have a 1993 Ford Tempo, 2.3L engine. I am having a high idle problem.The cars runs great at highway speeds. I checked for vacuum leaks and could not find any. The exhaust does not have a rotten egg smell. There is a low pitch vibrtion sound coming from the throttle body area. If i remove the intake hose between the throttle body and mass airflow sensor the engine idles down but surges some. There is no check engine light but i don't think it works. Could the mass airflow sensor be bad?

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a sticking or defective IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, located on the throttle body of the upper intake manifold, I can send instructions on how to replace if you need me too.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, please send the instructions on how to change it. Thanks

HiCustomer

Thank you for the prompt reply, here are the instructions below, hope this helps you out.

Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Assembly

Removal

1. Disconnect idle air control (IAC) valve assembly connector from wiring harness.
  2. Remove two idle air control (IAC) valve retaining screws.
    NOTE: If scraping is necessary, be careful not to damage idle air control (IAC) valve or throttle body gasket surfaces, or drop material into throttle body .
  3. Remove idle air control (IAC) valve and gasket.

graphic

Installation

1. Ensure that both intake manifold and idle air control (IAC) valve gasket surfaces are clean.
  2. Install gasket on intake manifold surface and mount idle air control (IAC) valve assembly securing it with two retaining screws. Tighten to 8-11 Nm (71-97 lb-in).
  3. Connect electrical connector for idle air control (IAC) valve.