Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

1997 ford f150: I need a wiring diagram..extended cab..rear brake

I need a wiring diagram for a 1997 ford f150 extended cab for the lighting and brake lights rear brake lights are staying on and its not the brake light switch please help I have automotive exp
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Based on your description the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective multi function switch (turn signal switch). I am sending you a wiring diagram as well as test procedures in order to determine, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR WIRING DIAGRAM

1997 F-150/250
STOPLAMPS ON CONTINUOUSLY
TEST CONDITIONS TEST DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
N1 CHECK THE MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH

• Are the rear hi-mount lamps illuminated?
YES GO to N2.
NO System OK.
N2 CHECK THE BRAKE ON/OFF SWITCH
Disconnect Brake On/Off (BOO) Switch C252

• Are the stoplamps illuminated?
YES GO to N3 .
NO REPLACE the brake on/off (BOO) switch. TEST the system for normal operation.
N3 CHECK THE MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
Disconnect Multi-function Switch

• Are any stoplamps illuminated?
YES If the hi-mount stoplamp is illuminated, REPAIR circuit 511 (LG). If the LH stoplamp is illuminated, REPAIR circuit 9 (LG/O). If the RH stoplamp is illuminated, REPAIR circuit 5 (O/LB). TEST the system for normal operation.
NO REPLACE the multi-function switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This sounds like the idea do I unplug the harness at the bottom of the column or up top and if it's up top how do I remove it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes when I unplugged the combantion switch and no more brake lights plugged it in and the came back on all three light up so should I change the switch or what
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, sounds like the switch is bad, I am sending you instructions in pdf format on how to replace the multifunction switch, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I have sent the information you have requested, if you need more help let me know, if not please, don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also have a problem with my AC thermostat control in the morning or if u let the truck set for a some time it will blow fine but after u drive for a wile or if u stop and then take off it will start to blow hot air and some times the air flow will be very weak like it's restricted but u can hear the air down in the vents blowing hard will do another accept for this thanks in advanced seems like a vac problem
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the accept, based on your description it sounds like you may have a bad fan clutch, and is not dissipating the heat away from the condenser, also sounds like the R-134a may be a little low also. If the problem was vacuum related then you would have airflow from either the floor or defrost only.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I thought of that but it Will
Be cold for like 7-30 miles on the interstate the you can hear the difference in the blend doors or something but I really don't think it's the clutch fan or the freon level and when it happens it's like instantly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And what about the airflow all this happens at the same time I just think it's in the AC controls
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Those trucks did have problems with the blend door actuators, I think you are right.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will try this thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had talked to you about the brake lights on a 1997 ford f150 we came up with the problem of the multifunction switch but I tried a new one and it's not that when u plug up the switch the rear brake lights come on unplug it they go off any idea will pay thanks
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most likely cause of the problem is the BOO (Brake On/Off) switch located on the brake pedal lever, below are the test procedures, to determine the exact cause, as well as replacement instructions and wiring diagram.

graphic

TEST CONDITIONSTEST DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
N1 CHECK THE MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH

YES GO to N2 .
NO System OK.
N2 CHECK THE BRAKE ON/OFF SWITCH

• Are the stoplamps illuminated?
YES GO to N3.
N3 CHECK THE MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
Disconnect Multi-function Switch

• Are any stoplamps illuminated?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I m getting 12 v on bothe wires on the brake swith colors are green u get 12 volts with or without the dimmer switch plugged but the brake lights go out when u unplug the dimmer switch trying to see if there a wire from the sdimmer switch to the brake light have new dimmer switch installed already still brake lights staying on we still have 12 volts to both brake light switch wires
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

• Are the stoplamps illuminated?
YES GO to N3.
N3 CHECK THE MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
Disconnect Multi-function Switch

• Are any stoplamps illuminated?