EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified

My 2003 Taurus stalls out driving down the road and theft light

Customer Question

My 2003 Taurus stalls out driving down the road and theft light comes on (doesn't flash like online questions I've read). I'm a 64yr-old woman. What could be causing this? I've been very lucky so far to not have gotten hit from behind. This happens anywhere from 25mph to 50mph.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Eric :

Hi. When the theft light flashes or comes on solid it indicates there is a problem with either the Passive Anti Theft System or the Instrument Cluster. The PATS system involves a key with a transponder in it, and a transceiver located near the ignition switch. Ans the Insturment Cluster is the module that controls PATS functions and stores the keys information.

What I would try first, is to use any other ignition keys you have. If the problem persists, you will need to go to the dealer so they can diagnose the issue and reprogram the keys after the repair.

Can you give me an estimate of what each one of these would cost to fix? In the 1.5yrs I've had this LEMON, I've spent thousands of dollars in repairs! Thanks!

Eric :

The dealer probably is going to charge a 100 dollars to diagnose it. A key cost about 50 dollars and to program it is like 50. Could be from $200 or higher.