AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Ford Windstar: 3.8L..V6..wont start..the fuel shut off relay

2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L V6 won't start. It tried to start initially but acted "fuel starved" and quit. I checked the fuel shut off relay in rear and it wasn't tripped. I checked fuel pump fuse and it looks good. I let van sit for a couple of hours thinking perhaps a vapor lock. Now it cranks strong (good battery and starter) but won't turn over at all.

This happened about 3 weeks ago as well. After sitting for a day it started right and has been rung fine until today.

I'm not getting a check engine light and my code reader is showing no codes.

Is this symptomatic o a faulty fuel pump or should I check something else before going to fuel pump?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

If you can get your vehicle to act up again, then we will need to check for spark and fuel pressure. If your vehicle does not act up again, replacing the fuel pump may or may not take care of the problem.

When this happens, check to be sure the check engine light goes off while cranking. if it does, then see if the engine will fire up with starting fluid. If so, then the fuel pump may be at fault. Just be sure to check the fuel pressure for power before replacing it.