Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

2004 Ford Explorer: ajar light stays on..locking..grounding..bump

Customer Question

2004 Ford Explorer-

Door ajar light stays on. I've cleaned the locking mechanisms with WD40 and that helped temporarily. I believe there is a short or grounding problem because it typically comes on when I go over a bump. However, it's staying on now regardless of road conditions. It's probably one of the sensors but I'm not sure how to determine which one it is. Also, are these sensors accessible through the door panel?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Pavlin Koev :

Hi, How are you? My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this problem.

Pavlin Koev :

I am sending you diagram. according to wiring you can grond ajar switches one by one untill you find the faulty one.

Pavlin Koev :

click HERE to see

Customer:

Thank you for the diagram. Where are these wires located?

Customer:

Are the switches in each door?

Pavlin Koev :

yes, they are part of the door latch.you can follow the wire colors. but instead open every door you go to VCM and you can ground the wire right there.

Pavlin Koev :

Here are the wire coding

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thanks again. Just to be clear, can you explain what you mean by grounding. Do you mean remove the wire from the VCM and attach it to a bare metal location with another wire?

Customer:

Also, is the VCM under the dash?

Pavlin Koev :

No, if you look at the diagram, wire is opened by the switch. Goes from VCM to grond. when switch is open then door is open. and light is on. you need to connect VCM wire to car metal part. If youare not sure what you are doing print this and ask someone for help otherwise you can damage that module if you go to wrong wire. You can always comback and talk to me if you need me.

Customer:

Understood. Where is the VCM located?

Pavlin Koev :

underdash/ and here is door ajar switch

Full Size Image

Customer:

Would a test-light work in determining which switch is bad?

Pavlin Koev :

Sorry, module is located behind rear seat R/H side in the right panel. test light yes but you have to connect it to power at clip side.

Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience: 17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE