AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My truck is running very sluggish especially up hills. Already

My truck is running very sluggish especially up hills. Already replaced some things, what else could it be?
Hello!

Does the engine actually misfire or just bog down when going up hills?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just bogs down going up hill. It accellerates okay in lower gears but when hitting 4 and 5 I can see a noticeable difference. It also needs 2 or 3 times to start.
You could have a fuel delivery problem. I would recommend to start by checking fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! You can get a fuel pressure gage at a local auto parts store for cheap.

Fuel pressure testing is frequently overlooked but it is one of the common causes of poor performance. The test procedure must include testing that will insure normal
fuel pressure under all operating conditions.

Key Factors

1. Fuel demands are low at idle.

2. Wide open throttle at high engine revs uses the most fuel.

3. Port injection fuel pressure must be reduced when manifold vacuum is high. Vacuum pulls fuel out of the injector causing it to deliver too much fuel if the pressure remains high. Manifold vacuum is used to open the pressure regulator at a lower pressure when vacuum is high.

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Edited by AMEDEE on 8/2/2010 at 2:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it easy to test myself?

Also, could it be the Fuel Pump Relay?
YES.. it is easy to test yourself. All you do is hook up a fuel pressure tester and start the engine up and take a reading.

If the fuel pump has full voltage going to it, then the full pump relay is fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok , thanks
I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, so just to get it straight. If I test the pressure and the pressue is low , does that mean that my fuel pump is bad or poor delivery from 1 of the problems you mentioned?
If the fuel pressure is low, then chances are you have a bad fuel pump. HOwever, the other things will need to be checked before replacing the fuel pump just to be sure they are not the problem.