Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1998 ford ranger: runs fine..starts fine..engine is warmed up..shift

Customer Question

1998 ford ranger hard to start when engine is cold, runs fine and starts fine when engine is warmed up. The engine is a 1.5 L 4 cylender 2wheel drive 5 speed straight shift transmission.
Category: Ford
Expert:  JContin replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to JA.
The hard start you refer to means that the engine turns for more than a couple of seconds to turn on ? or do you have to crank it a couple of times for it to turn over ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have to turn engine for long time, when it cranks it will sputter for a while, after i rev the engine a few times it begins to idle fine and run fine. After driving and it runs fine, if I crank it again before the engine cools down it will crank fine and drive with no problems.
Expert:  JContin replied 4 years ago.
have you noticed that after you start it and its still cold you get some bogging from the engine if you accelerate hard ? Or have you noticed pinging or a small amount of lost horse power when pulling hard ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no bogging when I accelerate hard and no pinging , no loss of horsepower, runs fine after I get it cranked. Can accelerate up a hill with no problem. also it idles smoothly after I drive it.
Expert:  JContin replied 4 years ago.
Well what you have are either clogged injectors or a clogged fuel filter. Have you had a tune up done lately or maybe spark plugs replacement to address the situation ?
Expert:  JContin replied 4 years ago.
in the description of your truck you put 1.5L engine but you meant 2.5 right ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is neither of these, it runs fine after it is cranked. Don't have any mort time to keep replying to this, Yes it is a 2.5 motor the 1.5 was just a typo error. Have not had a tune up recently either. No need to reply any more