Earl
Earl, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.
29257239

How to bleed air out of my 6.0 deisel

how to bleed air out of my 6.0 deisel
Category: Ford
Expert:  Earl replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Earl Cowette :

What are you trying to bleed the air from?

Customer:

i changed my two filters now im not getting any deisel

Customer:

air out the lines and injectors

Earl Cowette :

Alright what you will need to do is remove the cap for the upper filter and turn the key to the run position until the fuel is just about at the top. Then reinstall the filter cap and the should take care of your problem.

Customer:

did that , im not getting any fuel to the bottom filter

Earl Cowette :

Did you take the plug for the water drain out when you changed the lower filter?

Customer:

yeap

Customer:

iv changed it many times never had this happen

Earl Cowette :

How did it go back in and whas the plug in good condition. Sometimes if the plug is corroded and the oring does not seal properly it can cause the pump to suck air past the oring instead of fuel from the tank.

Customer:

it was good same as everytime

Customer:

if im correct it should bleed itself right , just for some reason its not today

Earl Cowette :

Did the truck run before the filters were replaced?

Customer:

yeap and it ran after , the truck died thats when i checked and the botton filter was still dry

Earl Cowette :

Alright then there has to be a bad seal either at the oring for the lower filter cap or the oring for the water drain plug. A leak at either of these points will cause the pump to not pull fuel from the tank. The only other option would be the pump itself has lost the ability to pull the fuel from the tank.

Customer:

ok so ill check make sure they are sealed good, if still no fuel then it has to be the pump?

Customer:

and is they any way they can just loose prim and if so any way to prim it?

Earl Cowette :

I have never had a 6.0 fuel pump loose it's prime. I have installed them bone dry and they still pull the fuel from the tank. We use a tool to measure the inlet restriction on the fuel pump to determine if the pump is trying to pull fuel from the tank.

Customer:

ok guy well thanks for the help will tri and get it going , thank for the info , i will give it another tri

Earl Cowette :

Alright good luck, let me know if there is anything else.

Earl, Ford Technician
Experience: Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.