Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 ford f250: the alt still not charging help

2003 ford f250 6.0 alt not charging... replaced the alt still not charging help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

With the voltage regulator connector disconnected and the key on, using a voltmeter, check to see if there is battery voltage to the Orange/Light Blue wire in the voltage regulator connector, check votlage on the Light Green/Red wire in the voltage regulator connector, if no power check fuse 45 in the inside fuse box for battery voltage through it whenever the key is on. If OK, check for an open in the Light Green/Red wire between the voltage regulator and the instrument cluster. If the Light Green/Red wire has continuity between the voltage regulator and the instrument cluster, check for a loss of power into the cluster on the Red/Yellow wire from fuse 45 in the inside fuse box. If there is power into the instrument cluster on this wire, but no voltage out on the Light Green/Red wire. and the battery warning light is not on with the key on, replace the instrument cluster. A short to ground in the Light Green/Red circuit would also cause no voltage on the Light Green/Red wire, and lack of charging system operation, but the battery warning light would be on with key on and engine running if the circuit was grounded.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is power on the light green with red stripe. The orange and light blue has ... no power no ground on it. yes when running the battery light is on. Fuse 45 does have power.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, then the orange/light blue is the problem......Check the 20 guage grey fusible link E. If fuse is good and you have power to fuse then run a new wire between fuse and orange/blue wire on alternator. The fusible link shouldnt be too far from the battery positive cable.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I guess i looked wrong i still dont tink i did, the orange an light does has power. The light green with red stripe with the voltmeter it reads 11.87 but it will not light a test light.(the test light in a shadow will barely turn the bulb filliment colors.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If the battery light turns on then the problem is either the orange/blue wire or red wire......Both of thsoe should have voltage. If both of those have voltage and the dash light goes on when light green wire is grounded then replace the alternator again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok power is on the red wire.... power is on the orange...... the green is it power or ground?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
When battery voltage goes low on the orange wire the green wire is grounded by the alternator to turn on the low battery light. Try to jump the red and orange wires together to see if that helps, if so you have a bad connection on orange wire. If it doesnt help replace alternator.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database