Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
22388146

6.4 DIESEL 2008 MODEL ,, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME..WIRING

I HAVE THE 6.4 DIESEL 2008 MODEL ,, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON WITH A CODE OF 9003 BUT THE PUMP PRESSURE CHECKS OUT GOOD,,,NEW FILTERS . WAS SUGGESTED THAT THE WIRING AT THE FUEL PUMP COVER GETS CHAPED AND CAUSES A GROUND OUT...THE TRUCK DRIVES OK UNTIL YOU TRY ACCELORATE STRONG,, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question.

If you have under 100,000 miles this repair is covered under the engine warranty. If not add about 40% to the warranty time for retail. You need to pull the cab off for this repair. The high pressure pump gasket is plastic and incorporates the wiring harness they are known to chafe.

ISSUE:

Some 2008 F-Super Duty vehicles built prior to 8/20/2007 equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power or no start with possible DTC's P0003, P0004 and P0091 caused by circuit CBB12 at the high pressure pump gasket grounding to the high pressure pump body (may also result in fuse 74 being blown).

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Unplug connector C1926 near the high pressure fuel pump cover.
  2. Check pin 4 green/white and pin 2 yellow wires for a short to ground.
    1. If either one is shorted to ground, remove the high pressure fuel pump cover and replace the pump cover gasket/harness that contains the grounded wire ONLY. The high pressure fuel pump does not need to be removed and replaced. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C.
    2. When removing the low pressure fuel lines and high pressure fuel tubes from the high pressure pump, use a back up wrench on the high pressure pump fittings to make certain that the fittings are not loose as the cap nuts and high pressure fuel tubes are removed (this may cause a fuel leak).
    3. When installing the new high pressure pump cover gasket/harness, verify that the VCV wires are wrapped in either high temperature convolute or a mesh style abrasion wrap.
    4. When making electrical connections to the high pressure fuel pump, pull the connectors to verify connectors are locked in place.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
8C3Z-9G805-AKit-Cover Fuel Pump

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
072602A2008 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Replace High Pressure Fuel Pump Cover Gasket, Includes Time To Remove And Install Cab, And Perform Diagnosis (Do Not Use With 6007B, 6007B47, 6007B50, 6007B51, 12650D)8.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and Bonuses are appreciated. Thank you, Shawn.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my vehicle now has 135000 miles on it ...would there have been recall that would have covered this ? thanks in advance
There is no recall or extra coverage on this. The only thing I have seen is if you call Ford and make a stink they might participate in the bill. 30-50% but they will ask for maintenance records.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks
Your Welcome