EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified

Ford tempo: fuel pump relay..GT...a 2.3 Liter and is a 4 cylinder

Customer Question

I can't find the fuel pump relay for my ford tempo GT. It is a 2.3 Liter and is a 4 cylinder
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 years ago.

FUEL PUMP RELAY LOCATION
Located in the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) at the LH side of engine compartment, near strut tower.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the Fuel Pump Relay with me and I followed your advice and went to the strut tower and looked all around there and saw nothing where this could plug in. My ford dealership said it was located by the passenger footwell. but to no avail all I saw was the blower motor and lots o wiring. nothing anything close as to what I was looking for. Still lost. You say it is located at the left hand side of the engine compartment. Would it be behind something else , is that why I'm not seeing it Or is it anywher near the fuel pressure releif valve or the fuel filter. If only I had a picture to go by.
i cant find a picture ...did you buy a factory relay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need precise info on where the fuel pump relay is on a 1993 ford tempo GT 2.3 engine 4 cylinder. I was told previously that it was in the passenger Wheel Well by a ford dealership technician (didn't find) or in the LH side of the engine compartment by the stut tower ( nothing)
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

John is correct, the PCM and Fuel pump relays are incorporated as part of the CCRM, Constant Control Relay Module. It is located at the LF strut area and has a 24pin connector on it.

graphic

Description and Operation

PURPOSE
The Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) interfaces with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to provide control of the cooling fan, A/C clutch, and fuel pump. The module includes the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) power relay to provide power to the PCM.
These relays are contained in one housing, resulting in longer service life and reduced wiring requirements for operation.

CONSTRUCTION
The CCRM has one 24-pin connector. Relays contained in the housing are independent of one another.

OPERATION
The relays contained within the CCRM are interdependent and work with each other. The following describes the different relay functions within the CCRM:

EEC Power Relay
For any other circuit in the CCRM to operate, this circuit must be powered up. This prevents actuators from being turned on without the EEC system having control over them.

Fuel Pump Relay
The fuel pump relay circuit controls the fuel pump. The PCM provides the ground circuit for the primary side of the relay. The secondary side supplies Battery Voltage (B+) to the fuel pump itself.

Electro-Drive Fan Relay
The Electro-Drive Fan (EDF) relay controls the electric cooling fan. The primary control circuit of the EDF relay is normally high (B+). In this state the low speed cooling fan runs continuously. The PCM grounds this circuit, pulling it low near zero volts, to turn the fan off. This "fail safe" is built into the EDF circuit to run the fan anytime the EEC power relay is activated if the PCM should fail open circuit.

Wide Open Throttle A/C Control Relay
This circuit controls the A/C compressor clutch during normal operation. This circuit also disengages the A/C clutch as commanded by the PCM during Wide Open Throttle (WOT) conditions. This solid state relay has two control circuits. One is used to engage the A/C clutch upon demand from the vehicle operator and the A/C cycling pressure switch. The other control is used to disengage the clutch upon command from the PCM.

Power Ground
This circuit provides the CCRM with a ground source for operating various controls. The circuit uses one pin that goes to the battery negative terminal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Schucks/Oreillys Auto Parts gave me a Fuel Pump Relay, which according to what they call, is the Power Train Control Module. I located the PCM, but it is a box that has a 12 prong wire harness and I don't see how the part schucks gave me, is incorporated into this part. Because the part they gave me looks like a 4 prog fuse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The info you gave me was close but the picture was for a 3,0 , not a 2.3. does that make a difference
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

Same location, here is a new picture diagram, specifically showing 2.3 L.

graphic

EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience: 20 years with Ford, Master Certified