Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

1987 Ford Bronco II: lifters..a lot of them are noisy..goes away

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Ford Bronco II with noisy lifters. Usually it is just one lifter but recently it seems like a lot of them are noisy. Some times it goes away right away sometimes it it is persistent. Sometimes it starts all over again when the car is hot and has been running for a while.

It has 140k on it. I bought it used with about 85K on it about 10 years ago. I use Mobil 1 in it every 6 months with a new filter. Put less than 6000 miles per year on it now. It passes CA smog with flying colors

I understand that this model had poor oil flow in the heads. Should I just try to remove and clean the hyraulic lifters or should I be looking deeper in the engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hi, there are a few things that you can try, to eliminate the noise,one is to put a pint of automatic transmission fluid in the engine oil, this will many times clean up a sticking lifter. Next would be to try a different oil, a conventional 10w 30, it is a little thicker and may quite things down. Lasly I would try adjusting the valves, below is the procedure for doing so on your Bronco 2.9 engine

graphic

Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the tip.

Should I run the ATF until the next change or should I just run it for a while and then drain and replace the oil? If the detergents really work it would probably be a good idea to at least change the filter once it has got the gunk into suspension and over to the filter. That would drop the oil level about a pint as it would be a pint hight if I add a pint of ATF.

This car is something of a hobby for me. I enjoy keeping it running as long and as well as I can. Cosmetically it is in good shape and I just treated it to 5 new Michelin tires.

Thanks,

Alan

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Hello Alan, thank for the accept. I would add the ATF to the oil and give it a hundred miles or so to do the cleaning. I would then change the oil and filter and use on of the high mileage oils, desiigned for engines with over 75K ,such as Castrol GTX high mileage.