Don
Don, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  ASE Master certified, Ford Senior Master, 20 year experience
14629033

My ford Expedition starts for a second and then shuts off .

My ford Expedition starts for a second and then shuts off .There are no trouble codes or service lights on. If I unplug the MAF sensor and start the car it will stay running but runs rough and a MAF code comes up. due to the fact I unplugged the MAF sensor.I tryed replacing MAF sensor . Could I have installed a faulty MAF sensor or should I be looking at some other part or is there some other way to trouble shoot this .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Don :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX someone start the engine. as soon as it starts tap the idle air control motor with a screw driver handle and see if the engine keeps running

Full Size Image

Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Don

I tryed tapping on the idle air control motor and the engine still dies. I allso tryed to feather gas paddle to keep the engine running and tapped on IAC motor and still had no luck but got a code for o2 sensor 1+2 stuck lean. This code came up as I was feathering the gas paddle to keep the engine running . It was running rough and could not hold a idle.

Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.
ok there is a vacuum leak to the engine. trace the pcv valve from the valve cover to the intake. there are rubber fittings for the plastic tubes, it is very common for the rubber to go bad and cause a leak and the problem you are having.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi don

Tryed spraying carb cleaner at all fittings and manifold to look for a leak but did not see any differance in the idle. Still had to feather the gas paddle to keep truck running and the idle did not go up or down as I was spraying the carb cleaner.

Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.
you are going to have to have it hooked up to a computer that can monitor pids. the idle air control may be stuck shut or the new mass air flow may not be working properly. you need to look at the electrical pids
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Hi Don</p><p>Here are the pids I monitored and froze I can monitor these pid real time what should I be looking for. Note when I got these pids I was trying to keep the engine idle steady .</p><p>Mil status off</p><p>Troub code P2195</p><p>ABSLT TPS % 24.7</p><p>RPM 1271</p><p>Cala load % 52.2</p><p>MAF LB/m 2.32</p><p>Coolent F 181</p><p>IAT 91</p><p>IGN Av deg 21</p><p>LT FTRM1 % 8.6</p><p>ST FTRM1 % 53.1</p><p>LT FTRM 2 % 8.6</p><p>ST FTRM 2% 53.1</p><p>Veh speed mph 0</p><p>Fuel sys1 clsd</p><p>Fuel sys2 N/A</p><p>o2s11 (V) .085</p><p>ST FTRM11 % 53.1</p><p>O2S12 (v) .015</p><p>O2s21 (v) .055</p><p>ST FTRM21 % 53.1</p><p>O2S22 (v) .010</p>
Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.
was this at idle. and the mass air flow can you read voltage
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI DON

This was me trying to keep the car at idle MAF LB/m 2.32

Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.
that is low at idle it should be 4.8 to 6 and at 2500 rpm it should be 18.1 to 22. are you sure the new mass air flow was the right one and was it a ford or aftermarket
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI Don

The MAF was from Ford purchased at a ford dealer .It was a remanufactured unit witch I still did not return the core. I have had problems with remanufactured uints from auto parts stores before that is why I went to Ford and thay told me this was all that was avalable for my car and I had to order it and wait for it to come in.

Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.

can I get the vin #

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Don

Vin # XXXXX

Part # XXXXX Motorcraft box for MAF sensor AFLS-176RM

2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L

Expert:  Don replied 4 years ago.

from everything you are giving me with the pids. there most likely a vacuum leak you are not finding. 90% of the cars I work on with these codes are vacuum leaks. recheck the pcv tubes especially where they connect to the intake. here is a ford technical service bulletin about the vacuum leaks. this is such a common problem ford put out a bulletin.

ISSUE:

This article is intended to aid in diagnosing DTC's P0171, P0174, P1130, P1131, P1150, P1151, P2195, or P2197 (system lean or lack of HEGO switches) when a vacuum leak is present. HEGO sensors, MAF sensors, and PCM replacements are not an effective repair when a vacuum leak is causing the above DTC's.

ACTION:

Perform the following inspections/repairs when the above codes are found in memory. Procedure provides instructions on how to make comparisons of the total fuel corrections (using scan tool or equivalent) at idle and high RPM's to help determine if a vacuum leak is the root cause of the DTC's.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:FREEZE FRAME AND ADAPTIVE FUEL VALUES (ASSOCIATED WITH "LONGFT" PID) WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE IF A KAM OR OBDII RESET WAS RECENTLY PERFORMED.

NOTE:FREEZE FRAME DATA WILL INDICATE THE ENGINE AND AMBIENT CONDITIONS WHEN THE DTC WAS SET. THESE ARE IMPORTANT BECAUSE THE VACUUM LEAKS MAY OCCUR ONLY WITHIN SPECIFIC TEMPERATURE RANGES AND MUST BE DUPLICATED TO DETECT THE LEAK.

NOTE:FUEL TRIMS AT IDLE ARE PARTICULARLY SENSITIVE TO VACUUM LEAKS SINCE THE UN-METERED AIR "LEAKAGE FLOW" IS A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL AIRFLOW AT IDLE THAN AT PART THROTTLE. THE BAROMETRIC PRESSURE (BP) PID IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO VIEW WHEN DIAGNOSING A VACUUM LEAK. BP IS AN INFERRED PID CALCULATED DURING HIGHER ENGINE LOADS.

1. Perform preliminary inspection, retrieve and record DTC's and Freeze Frame Data. DO NOT PERFORM KAM RESET OR OBDII RESET (CLEAR CODES) AT THIS TIME, ADAPTIVE FUEL TABLES MUST BE INTACT FOR THIS PROCEDURE.
    1. If DTCs are continuous, or if other DTC's or drive symptoms are present other than at idle, diagnose and repair those codes/symptoms first.
    2. Perform visual inspection - look for disconnected/broken/cracked vacuum hoses especially near vacuum trees. Check PCV elbows for cracks or loose connection. Confirm vehicle has the correct PCV valve installed. If a suspect vacuum leak is found proceed to Step 4.

NOTE:EACH VEHICLE APPLICATION REQUIRES A PCV VALVE CALIBRATED FOR THAT VEHICLE. MOTORCRAFT PARTS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED. ALSO, THERE WILL BE A NORMAL VARIATION IN FUEL TRIMS FROM VEHICLE TO VEHICLE.

2. Determine if vacuum leak is present.
    1. Set up scan tool to monitor the following PIDS: ECT/CHT, LONGFT1, LONGFT2, SHRTFT1, SHRTFT2, IAT.
    2. Start the engine and run at idle with all accessories off - gear lever in Neutral/Park.
    3. Run engine until ECT/CHT matches the corresponding freeze frame data from Step 1. This will duplicate the customer's engine operating temperatures when the DTC was set in memory. Hood may remain open during this test to help reduce ECT/CHT/IAT temperatures. Keep IAT below 115° F (46° C).
    4. Record LONGFT's and SHRTFT's.

NOTE:TO PREVENT HIGH ECT/CHT AND IAT TEMPERATURES IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS TEST WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING FOR SHORT INTERVALS, ESPECIALLY WHEN AMBIENT TEMPERATURE IS ABOVE 85° F (29°C). USE OF A GARAGE FAN WILL HELP TO KEEP ENGINE TEMPERATURES STABILIZED DURING TEST. IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO RUN THIS TEST AT SPECIFIC ECT/CHT/IAT TEMPERATURES, REVIEW FREEZE FRAME DATA. EXAMPLE: IF ECT WAS AT 160° F (71° C) THEN ENGINE MAY NEED A COLD START TO DUPLICATE THIS TEMPERATURE.

5. Determine total fuel correction at idle for an in-line 4 cylinder engine or bank 1 of a V-engine by adding LONGFT1 to SHRTFT1. Determine total fuel correction for bank 2 of a V-engine, by adding LONGFT2 to SHRTFT2.

NOTE:MAKE SURE ONLY THE CORRECT BANKS AND TRIMS ARE ADDED TOGETHER (DO NOT ADD LONGFT1 TO LONGFT2 OR LONGFT1 TO SHRTFT2.)
      • EXAMPLE 1: BANK1 LONG FUEL TRIM; LONGFT1 = +13% AND SHORT FUEL TRIM; SHRTFT1 = +23%. THE TOTAL CORRECTION ON BANK1 IS +36% (13%+23%=36%).
      • EXAMPLE 2: BANK2 LONGFT2 = +24% AND BANK 2 SHRFT2 = -3%. THIS TOTAL FUEL CORRECTION ON BANK 2 IS +21% (+24% -3%= +21%.).
      A TYPICAL VACUUM LEAK WHICH MAY SET A LEAN CODE DTC WILL HAVE TOTAL CORRECTION OF AROUND +20% OR GREATER AT OR NEAR IDLE (DEPENDS ON CALIBRATION)

6. Depress and hold throttle pedal to maintain an engine RPM of 2500.
    7. Observe PIDS with engine RPM at 2500. View and record LONGFT1, LONGFT2, SHRTFT1, SHRTFT2. Do not hold engine RPM's at 2500 for more than 20 seconds. Release pedal and repeat if more time is necessary to record PIDS.
    8. Determine total fuel correction at 2500 RPM's by adding the LONGFT's to the associated SHRTFT's.
    9. If the fuel correction decreases, more than 15%, (example: was +31% at idle on bank 1 but changed to +12% at 2500RPM on bank 1, a decrease of 19%) then a vacuum leak is most likely causing the lean diagnostic test codes. Proceed to Step 3.
    10. If the total correction remains approximately the same then the lean condition is not caused by a vacuum leak. Refer to the PC/ED for further diagnostics.
  3. Pinpointing vacuum leaks.
    1. Monitor SHRTFT's with scan tool with engine running at idle.
    2. Locate vacuum trees off air induction system and PCV system. Use hose clamp or pinch off pliers (avoid tools with sharp edges).

NOTE:USE CAUTION WHEN CLAMPING HOSES. A VACUUM CAP OR EQUIVALENT CAN ALSO BE USED TO BLOCK THE VACUUM SOURCE TO A SPECIFIC SYSTEM. DO NOT TRY TO PINCH OFF A HARD PLASTIC HOSE OR CONNECTION, TRY ISOLATING BY CAPPING. CLAMPING OF THE FUEL SYSTEM PURGE HOSE MAY SHIFT SHRTFT DURING PURGING MODES, USE VISUAL INSPECTION ON THIS HOSE IF RESULTS ARE NOT CONSISTENT.

3. Observe short fuel trims when pinching specific vacuum lines. The SHRTFT values should decrease more than 15% towards the negative direction, if a vacuum leak was pinched off. (wait up to 20 seconds to observe if pinch has any effect on SHRTFT's).

NOTE:EXAMPLE: PINCH OFF THE BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM HOSE (DO THIS ONLY IN PARK) AND OBSERVE SHRTFT'S. IF THE SHRTFT'S DECREASES, BY MORE THAN 15%, A VACUUM LEAK IS PRESENT. IF THE SHRTFT1 WAS AT +14% BEFORE PINCHING THEN SHIFTS TO -7% AFTER PINCHING, TOTAL SHIFT OF 21% TOWARDS NEGATIVE DIRECTION.

4. If vacuum leak is located proceed to Step 4c.

NOTE:INTAKE GASKETS OR MANIFOLD LEAKS CANNOT BE DETECTED BY PINCHING OFF LINES. USE OTHER LEAK DETECTION METHODS, SUCH AS SMOKE TEST, SONIC TESTS, AND PROPANE.

5. If no vacuum leaks are found, refer to the PC/ED for further diagnostics.
  4. Verification of repair.
    1. Prepare scan tool and vehicle to monitor short term fuel trims (SHRTFT's).
    2. Get vehicle into stabilized idle condition, unless freeze frame indicates other temperatures.
    3. Repair vacuum leak.
    4. SHRTFTs should decrease by at least 15%. If they do not, return to Step 2.
    5. Clear KAM and codes.

Edited by Don on 7/25/2010 at 6:02 PM EST
Don, Ford Senior Master
Experience: ASE Master certified, Ford Senior Master, 20 year experience