Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

1994 ford escort: timing belt..wagon..cylinder engine

How to replace timing belt on 1994 ford escort statin wagon, 4 cylinder engine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, there are 2 different 4cyl engines that came in the 94 escort - the 1.8L and the 1.9L engine. The 1.8L is dohc and the 1.9 is sohc. 8th digit in VIN code is engine code: if it is 8 then its a 1.8L, and if 1 its a 1.9L engine.

Here are directions for both:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1.8L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the timing belt covers.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft and align the timing marks located on the camshaft pulleys and the seal plate.
  4. Remove the crankshaft pulley and hub.
  5. If the timing belt is to be reused, mark an arrow on the belt to indicate its rotational direction to enable correct re-installation.
  6. Loosen the timing belt tensioner lockbolt and remove the timing belt.

To install:

1. Temporarily secure the timing belt tensioner in the far left position with the spring fully extended, then tighten the lockbolt.
  2. Make sure the timing marks on the timing belt pulley (crankshaft sprocket) and the engine block (oil pump housing) are aligned.
  3. Make sure the timing marks on the camshaft pulleys and the seal plate are aligned.
  4. Install the timing belt.
  5. Loosen the tensioner lockbolt. Using a suitable prying tool, position the timing belt tensioner so the timing belt is taut, then tighten the tensioner lockbolt.
  6. Turn the crankshaft two turns clockwise and align the timing belt pulley mark with the mark on the engine block.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Timing marks are located on the camshaft pulleys as shown-1.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Make sure that the crankshaft sprocket (timing belt pulley) and oil pump timing marks are aligned-1.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Align the timing belt pulley mark with the tension set mark, at approximately the 10 o'clock position-1.8L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Check the timing belt deflection at the location shown-1.8L engines

1. Make sure the camshaft pulley marks are aligned with the seal plate marks.

If the timing marks are not aligned, remove the belt and repeat the procedure.

1. Turn the crankshaft 1 5 / 6 turns clockwise and align the timing belt pulley mark with the tension set mark, at approximately the 10 o'clock position.
  2. Apply tension to the timing belt tensioner and install the tensioner lockbolt. Tighten the bolt to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).
  3. Turn the crankshaft 2 1 / 6 turns clockwise and make sure the timing marks are aligned.
  4. Measure the timing belt deflection by applying 22 lbs. (10 kg) of pressure on the belt between the camshaft pulleys. The timing belt deflection should be 0.35-0.45 in. (9.0-11.5mm). If necessary, adjust the timing belt deflection.
  5. Turn the crankshaft two turns clockwise and make sure the timing marks are aligned.

If the timing marks are not aligned, repeat the procedure beginning at Step 9.

1. Install the crankshaft pulley hub, bolt and pulley.
  2. Install the timing belt covers.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable.

1.9L Engine

See Figures 5 through 10

2. Remove the accessory drive belt automatic tensioner and the accessory drive belt.
  3. Remove the timing belt cover.
  4. Align the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket with the timing mark on the cylinder head.
  5. Confirm that the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.
  6. Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt, pry the tensioner away from the timing belt and retighten the bolt.
  7. Remove the spark plugs.
  8. Remove the right-hand engine mount.
  9. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  10. Remove the right side splash shield.
  11. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  12. Remove the timing belt.

With the timing belt removed and the No. 1 piston at TDC, do not rotate the camshaft.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Align the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket (arrow) with the timing mark on the cylinder head

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Confirm that the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the timing mark on the oil pump housing

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: If reinstalling the old timing belt, mark the direction of belt rotation; this will aid during installation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Pry the tensioner away from the timing belt and retighten the bolt, then slide the belt off the pulleys

To install:

Do not mix1/2round and trapezoidal belt tooth profiles, this would cause premature belt wear. Also no belt dressing or oil should be used on the belt.

1. Install the timing belt over the sprockets in a counterclockwise direction starting at the crankshaft. Keep the belt span from the crankshaft to the camshaft tight while positioning the belt over the remaining sprockets.
  2. Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt, then allow the tensioner to snap against the belt.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise two complete revolutions (720 degrees) stopping at TDC. This will allow the tensioner spring to properly load the timing belt.

Do not turn the engine counterclockwise to align the timing marks.

1. Tighten the tensioner attaching bolt to 17-22 ft. lbs. (23-30 Nm).
  2. Install the crankshaft dampener and the bolt and washer. Tighten the bolt to 81-96 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm).
  3. Install the right-hand engine mount.
  4. Install the splash shield and lower the vehicle.
  5. Install the spark plugs.
  6. Install the timing belt cover.
  7. Install the accessory drive belt automatic tensioner and the accessory drive belt.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Timing belt installation guide and alignment marks-1.9L engines

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

I noted that you have viewed and downloaded the directions yet didnt pay for the answer. Is there something in the directions you dont understand, or need more help on. As you didnt provide which 4cyl you have, I did provide directions for both possible engines. If there is something you are not sure on, please ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button to pay for services rendered. thank you and have a good afternoon.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have no questions at this time. Answer looks good. Thanks, Joe
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I am here until fairly late everyday. If you run into an issue on replacing the timing belt, just re-open this question and post it here and I will be happy to walk you thru any problems

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager