lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

Trying to remove a tie rod on a 2005 Ford Focus and having

Trying to remove a tie rod on a 2005 Ford Focus and having difficulty breaking it loose. Any suggestions for a home mechanic?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

hi this is lostrider,

Are you trying to get it loose at the knuckle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes!!

Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, they make a special tool for the ones that dont want to come loose, but I have always used a big hammer, take the nut off the tie rod at the knuckle and take the hammer and smack the curved end of the knuckle, (not the tie rod) where the tie rod is inserted, you may have to hit it a few times for the tie rod to pop loose, hope this helps.

graphic

here is a diagram and the tool number for the special tool.

Special Tool(s)
graphicRemover, Tie-Rod End
211-001 (TOOL-3290-D)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its not the knuckle, its the inner tie rod
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, on some of these the steering gear has to be removed from the car and the rack gear teeth exposed and clamped into a vice, then all the thread locker removed to remove the inner tie rod, here is the procedure from the service manual, hope this helps.

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the steering gear.
  1. NOTE: Record the number of turns required to remove the tie-rod end.

Remove the tie-rod end and jam nut.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the boot.
    1. Remove and discard the clamps.
    1. Disconnect the breather pipe (if equipped).
    1. Remove the boot.
  1. graphic
  2. Rotate the pinion to expose the rack gear teeth.
  1. graphic

2. CAUTION: To counter the extensive torque forces required to remove the tie-rod, clamp the rack gear teeth in a suitable vise. Do not clamp the steering gear body.

CAUTION: Make sure vise jaw protectors are used.

NOTE: Remove all traces of thread locking compound from the steering rack threads.

Secure the steering gear in a vise. Using a suitable removal tool, remove the tie- rod.
    • Apply thread locking compound to the inner threads of the tie-rod.
  1. graphic

2. CAUTION: Make sure the tie-rod is clean before installing the boot.

NOTE: To prevent the steering gear boot from twisting during toe adjustment, apply long-life grease to the groove in the tie-rod and uniformly to the inner diameter of the steering gear boot.

NOTE: Install new boot clamps.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Using the special tool, tighten the steering gear inner boot clamp.
  1. graphic
  2. Check the front toe adjustment.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.