Justin, Ford Technician
Experience:  12 years automotive exp. 8 being at high volume Ford dealer. Ford master certified tech.

Fords: pedal plate and manually by control goes out

my brake lights will not turn off. After replacing and testing the new brake light switch both on the pedal plate and manually by hand the brake light switch is not the issue.

About an hour ago someone told me that Fords have a feature that cause the brake lights to either light up or not work at all when the cruise control goes out. After test driving my car the cruise control does indeed not work.

While replacing the brake light switch I found a small rubber disc on the floor like a kind or turquoise color. There is still one under the plunger of the brake light switch and I'm wondering if this may be the cause of my cruise control issue?

I pulled the cruise control fuse and the lights still won't turn off.
Is this a coupe or sedan?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it's a sedan

Do your turn signals work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes turn signals work... also the hazard (4 ways) work.
Is the 3rd brake lamp on also?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the middle light in the back window?
no... it's been burned out for a while (a long while) and I have not yet gotten around to replacing it.

When you unplug the brake switch do the lights remain on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when I disconnect the brake light switch from the wire harness the lights do remain on.
Ok I just sent you the schematic for your brake lamps. If brake lamp switch is unplugged and you still have pwr to the brake lamps I would unplug the electronic flasher and see if they go off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the schematics... but I don't know what an electronic flasher is, nor where to find it

Turn your turn signals on and listen for the clicking sound under the left hand side of dash. There should be two square looking relays. Unplug both and see if lights go out

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I found the clicking thing but cannot get to it enough to tell what I'm trying to unplug... while I was there I pulled the fuse for it and it stopped clicking but the lights stayed on.

Are you sure its your brake lamps and not your park lamps? Try to put vehicle in gear without pushing the brake.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can move car into gear without pressing brake pedal.

On the brake switch that you are unplugging is there a green wire with a white tracer and green wire?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wife just checked and says she had to peel back insulation... obne wire was def green with white tracer.

graphicgraphicok now i want you to unplug connector 220 from fuse panel and let me know if lights go out

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dude I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it... but I have no clue what connector 220 is from any other connector. I can tell you the lights go out when I pull the fuse for the stop lights and so far that's the only thing that makes the lights turn off.
graphicOk sorry about being to technical, but if your pulling stop lamp fuse and lights go off then they should also go off if the stop lamp switch is unplugged. I think you may be on the wrong switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well I went to the parts store and asked for a brake light switch with cruise control... they gave me this
and I removed exactly this from the brake pedal bar and put the new one on and connected the wire harness.

Ok there are 2 switches on your brake lever. The top one is the one that controls the brake lamps and the bottom one is the cruise control deactivation switch. You need to replace the upper one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok new development...

wife crawled up under dash and started playing with the switch you just mentioned... lights turned off when she manually pushed in the plunger on this current switch then turned back on when she let go.

I f ound a small blue rubber sick on the floor of the car. It feels like one under the plunger on the other switch and it has an indention pressed into it that my wife says looks about the size of the plunger she was playing with when the lights turned off... the disk had a chunk missing in the back that I'd like to assume was a little peg that kept it anchored to the bar under the cruise control activation switch.

any thoughts?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also... my wife just found the anchor peg under the pedals.<br /><br />in previous message I say "small blue rubber sick"... I mean disk.

Tug on the plunger of the switch until it comes out a little. This will reset the switch after that reinstall switch by simply turning switch in alignment hole. Then see if your lights work correctly.

Sounds like you got it under control now. Thank you for your patience. Have a good night and God bless.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok we got it!!! turns out it was that blue rubber disk... we superglued it back together & stuffed it back into place (parts store was closed so I'll have to get a replacement tomorrow) lights are working fine now, are brake pedal operational appropriate and I'm gonna take it for a test run to check the cruise control.

Thank you very much for your help!