Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2007 ford taurus: mech..rough idle, poor gas mileage rough

cam shaft sensor replaced 3 time by my mech. Engine light still on rough idle, poor gas mileage run rough and sometimes its fine. 2007 ford taurus

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Do you know what the code is?

Is this the 3.0L 24 valve or the 3.0L 12 valve ? Or the VIN number and I can get the engine information.

Do you know if the camshaft sensor syncronizor was replaced?

Was the sensor replaced by a Ford tech or an independent?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do not remember the code number Plain taurus vin 1fafp53u17a187275 The unit was replaced sensor and syncronizor. It was replaced by independent with ford parts the last time
Ok most likely the syncronizor is not timed correctly. I have seen this countless times from independents as well as ford techs. If is a tooth or less off it can run well sometimes and other times turn on the check engine light and cause rough idle problems, hesitations on acceleration...etc. The only way I know of to verify if the timing is off is to run a power balance test on a Ford IDS scanner. This test will verify if the crank and cam sensor are in perfect sync or not. I know its a trip to the dealer but I know of no other way to verify it other then reinstalling it with the special alignment tool and starting from scratch to see if it is fixed.