Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience

Hi! My 95 Ford F150 has manual 4WD transfer. Its stuck

My '95 Ford F150 has manual 4WD transfer. It's stuck in 2WD, and I believe the linkage is "frozen" (aka rusted) underneath. I have soaked it several times in WD-40, Liquid Wrench, etc. to no effect.

Any tips on fixing the issue? I think I will need to replace the linkage, but I want to make sure it is the issue and not something else in the transfer case.

(FYI, I bought the truck a couple months ago with this problem...previous owner rarely used the 4WD)

Thank you!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 6 years ago.

The spring loaded plunger on these shift mechanisms sometimes became bound up when the boot on the plunger mech became torn, the result was the inability to move the shifter in the gate. I would suggest you remove the shift linkage from the shift mechanism by prying (carefully) the linkage off at the plastic grommet. Once it is off, see if you can shift the transfer case by hand using the link. It is stiff, but you should be able to select the gears. If you can't shift it, then it's in the T Case. If you can shift okay, then remove the shifter mech (see below). Once out of the vehicle make sure the pivot bolt is not seized... then make sure the shifter is able to push the plunger down, if the plunger won't move, the shifter cannot move in the gate shown below. If necessary, remove the boot at the top of the plunger and spray penetrating lube down it. You'll be able to see how it works once removed from the truck. This problem was commonly cause by this shift mechanism becoming contiminated with dirt and water. Steve

1. Shift transfer case (7A195) into 2H.
  1. Raise vehicle on hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.
  1. Loosen (do not remove) the nut retaining the shift handle to the shift control selector lever. Remove the shift handle from the shift control selector lever.
  1. Remove the vent hose from the notch in the detent plate.
  1. CAUTION: When removing the control rod from the shift control selector lever, do so very gently so as not to damage the shift control selector lever.

Remove the control rod from the shift control selector lever.
  1. Loosen (do not remove) the large pivot bolt holding the shift control selector lever to the detent plate.
  1. Swing the shift control selector lever out of the way and remove the two bolts retaining the detent plate to the extension housing (7A039). Remove the entire shift control selector lever from the vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the quick follow up. The first image you included did not come through, can you resend it please?
I'm also not entirely sure about which part is the "plunger". Can you tell me which number that is in the diagram? Just to be sure, I'm not meant to push the shifter downward when shifting, am I? I've tried that and it doesn't work, but I wasn't sure if that was the correct way to begin.

Long day and I'm a little punchy, but I will be back to check tomorrow EST. I will accept the answer - just want to make sure I understand completely.

What I am referring to is #10 in the larger picture. As I recall, you did need to push down and pull back into 4x4 high, from there, you had to push down farther and pull back to shift into 4x4 low. You'll notice the second picture, this is the gate. There is a protrusion from the shifter next to what I am referring to as the plunger that catches in these notches, this prevents inadvertent shifting. When you get if off, it will be more clear. I will repost the first image, what I am referring to as the plunger is the round body with the shifter going in to the top, identified as #10 in the image. It's been a number of years since I had to service one of these, so my description my be a little off, but I'll be glad to assist further if needed. Where the yellow warning sign is flashing and it says to click for full size image, there is no image intended to be there. When we copy/ paste and tthere is a procedure warning (in this case about carefully removing shift linkage) that shows up. Stevegraphic

Edited by Steve Jensen on 7/14/2010 at 3:28 AM EST