Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have a 2002 mustang GT there is an overdrive switch on the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 mustang GT there is an overdrive switch on the floor shift. I have always driven the car with the overdrive engaged and never noticed any problem. Recently I have noticed that when I am driving about 45 miles per hour the overdrive kicks in and out. I have started leaving the overdrive off until I expect my speed to remain above 50 mph and the cycling does not happen.   Is there a sensor that may have gone bad? The car has 70,000 mile on it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Chris (aka- Moose) :

When it goes in and out do you notice a shudder sensation like getting one tire on the rumble strips on the interstate or do you feel a hiccup or subtle jerking motion randomly occurring?

It is more like the latter. Maybe a hiccup or the subtle jerking motion randomly occuring.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Ok what your feeling is a load induced and air/fuel ratio induced ignition misfire. Under certain circumstances its very hard to ignite the fuel and air i n the combustion chamber. This only occurs for a very small window. So when you have any part in the ignition system weak and not operating optimum it will not provide enough spark to light the explosion needed so you notice this as a hiccup. The car is 8 years old and 30 k away from new spark plugs. I recommend new motorcraft spark plugs and then a power balance test to see which coil is weak so it to can be replaced. After this the concern should be gone.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I will specify this at my next oil change, which is due. I was concerned there might be a problem with my transmission. Or that my garage might tell me that. We both know how expensive that would be. I will try your suggestion. Thank You. Smile
Your welcome, if this is all that is needed please hit accept or reply and say I accept.