Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 88 ford ranger wont start with key! Have to jump over solenoid

Customer Question

My 88 ford ranger wont start with key! Have to jump over solenoid to start, But starts right up first time, tried new ignition and key, Tried new clutch switch. Bout truck, started it with key for first two days the Nothing, can someone please help, ..... Out of patience in illinois
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Take a 12 volt test light and see if you have 12 volts with the key in the crank mode in and out of the clutch switch on the red/blue start wire>> Check it and let me know.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ron. The answer is No, I do not have twelve volts, What does that mean?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

That means eaither the ignition switch is bad or the connector to it. The red/blue wire comes from the switch , check and see if it hot at the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

checked the red/blue wires from ignition Not hot, other wires are hot at the ignition, Followed the two red/blue wires thru firewall and one go's to the distributor, the other go's around thru the front headlight harness of wires and comes out at the silenoid

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
The red blue is the crank wire and you need 12 volts out of it while holding the key in the crank mode. If you do not, then the switch is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you talking about the switch on the clutch pedal?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
No you said you had no volatge at the clutch switch, said it comes from the ignition switch, and to check it there, you said there was no voltage , If that is the case, the switch is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i changed the clutch switch , i tried two different switches from a junk yard, and nothing
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
I am not talking about the clutch switch, I am talking about the ignition switch (not the key switch)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well can you please tell me the location of the ignition switch is located please
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Its located on the top of the steering colunm, drop the column down you will see it , its right there.

• Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  • Remove steering column shroud and lower the steering column. Refer to Steering Column: Service and Repair: Removal/Installation .
  • Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug.
  • Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column.
  • LIFT the switch VERTICALLY UPWARD to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove switch

• Edited by Ron on 7/12/2010 at 5:24 PM EST
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    There is a recall on this switch that may still be valid, you may want to check with your dealer and see.

THE IGNITION SWITCH COULD EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE OVERHEATING, SMOKE, AND POSSIBLY FIRE IN THE STEERING COLUMN AREA OF THE VEHICLE.

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.

SYSTEM: ELECTRICAL; IGNITION SWITCH.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLES AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS.

NOTE: OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME, SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    ok, Well if you have not noticed as of yet, My skillz with working on autos is poor, Can you please detail what it looks like,
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    Here is the actual switch>

graphic
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My son and i located the switch with no problem with your help, We are excited that this might be the problem, will let you know soon

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    Have him check fro key on cranking voltage out of the switch on the red/blue wire, if no, the switch is bad. Also make sure the yellow power wire into this switch is hot as well.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Ok, Before i told you that no power anyplace in the red/blue wire from the switch , i followed the red/blue from the switch all the thru the firewall, From inside the hood it splits off, One red/blue wire go's around the front of the truck thru the headlight harness and to the silenoid the other red/blue wire splits off and go's to the distributor, i tested the wire all the way, and i have nothing, The yellow power wire you told me to check at the ignition switch is good for 12 volts, We replaced the switch and still have nothing,
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    OK, what do you have on the red/blue at the ign switch?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    nothing, No power thru out the whole red/blue
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    If you hve nothing at the red/blue out of the switch the problem is at the switch , are you sure the switch is turning on?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    well, i dont know what else to do i checked the red/blue ignition wire, i replaced the ignition switch,, Is a way to cross wires to hotwire it , i'm bout out of patience
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    Remove the switch and see if you can see the rod from the key moving when you hold the key in the crank mode.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    i removed the switch , Yes i see the rod moving, Is this good
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    Yes that is good. Did you try to adjust the switch futher forward. If you push the switch down with a screwdriver dose it start.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    i have my son checking , I have to ask , I know your is money, But is it going to cost me alot for this
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    Your offer was for $9.00 and I have nothing coming unless you hit accept. Then it will cost you $9.00 unless you chose to pay more.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    well i just want to make sure you are not getting impatient with nonskills, But anyway i would be happy to pay more if i can get this thing fixed, I should have never got this truck for my kid, I had one when i was a kid and it ran like a champ till i drove it in the lake, But we tried the screwdriver thing , and nothing, My kid wanted me to ask why does the dashboard lights go dim when the key is turned forward with the clutch pressed, And when the clutch is not pressed the lights do not dim, Thought that maybe had something to do with it
    Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
    Yes it very well may . you have a connection issue someplace. Like I said, if you are sure the switch is moving forward to the crank connection, you have to have 12 volts out of the red/blue wire. Have you taken a close look at the connector, is it burned? Have you tried suppling 12 volts to it from a battery source and see if it cranks?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i checked the connection and it does not appear to be burnt or loose, what are you speaking of suppling a source of twelve volts to, My knowhow is limited But i can take directions, And it seems you are skilled at what you do

Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Ok,run a new wire from the positive battey terminal and try touching the red/blue wire and see if it cranks.