Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor
21409023

2002 taurus. Instrument cluster lights do not come on. gauges work .

2002 taurus. Instrument cluster lights do not come on. gauges work . heater and radio lights work and dim. headlights do not work on auto. checked all fuses.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer, I'm AL.
The first step is to check ground G201, at the base of the dash, to the driver side of the glove box opening. See diagram below
Thanks
AL

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Pulled glove box door off and found ground wires bolted to dash with 8mm head screw. loosened then retightened. still have same problem .instrument cluster backlighting still not on with headlight switch on.all other console and dash lights work normally. put a cover over light sensor and auto headlight does not come on . seems like both problems happened at same time.any help is appreciated thanks

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 6 years ago.
Try this:
Remove the instrument cluster, backprobe the Black wire at instrument cluster connector C220A (it should be the only solid Black wire in either cluster connector), and jump it to a good body ground. If this cures the problem, make the ground connection permanent.

This is a very common issue with the Taurus. Most of the time, the connector pin is corroded or loose.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Al, pulled dash apart and checked only black wire on back of cluster for good ground and it had a good connection. the good news is I did find the problem while I had the cluster out. I will be glad to share with you the fix to this problem for 15 dollars... just kidding I will tell you what I found for free just so it wont be a loss for you. Maybe you can use this for future use. Blue wire white stripe was corroded where it contacts printed circuit board. This is the wire that comes from headlight switch.
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 6 years ago.
You found it! Great. Thank you, I'll correct that in my notesLaughing.