chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1997 Ford explorer: Rear Brake..Headlights..Right Rear..Right Front

Customer Question

1997 Ford Explorer XLT.
Turn signal/Brake light problem... Left Rear Brake light doesn't work (won't come on when braking) Both Rear bulbs come on with the Headlights, so the bulbs are good. Right Rear and Right Front Turn Signal blinks fast. I've replaced bulbs - no help. Got any suggestions for the cause
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

I am a little confused here ,,, I got that the left rear brake lamp is inop ,,, but you also are telling me that there is also a problem with the right side turn signal too,,, it blinks fast ...... is this correct ???

or is it that the left rear brake lamp is inop ,, and the left side turn signal blinks fast ,,, this would make more sense ..

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Left Brake Light does not come on when braking.

The same Left Rear bulb DOES come on with the Lights.

The Right side Turn Signals flash fast - but the bulbs do light up.

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok ,, there is a common problem on this unit ,, and the problem lies at the turn signal switch and its connectors and wires ,, the wires and connectors on the back of the turn signal switch tend to come loose and pull out ,, and this causes problems with turn signals and brake lamps ..

so lets do a simple test to see if this is your problem , start the truck up and put the right turn signal ON ,,, then slowly tilt the steering column all the way up and all the way down and see if this starts to make the right turn signal work properly. also give this a try with the brake lamp on the left side ,, step on the brake tilt the steering column all the way up and all the way down and have someone look at the left rear brake lamp to see it if flickers on or comes on

if you get nothing from this action with the steering column , then I need to know if you have a test lamp or a volt meter to do some testing with me

tell me what you find , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok - No change...

I have a simple test lamp

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

ok , we have to access the turn signal switch and test the wires on the back of it with your test lamp ... to access the switch there is a upper and lower cover around it , look at the lower cover and there are access holes in it that have screws in them , remove the screws and then you can pull the lower cover down and the upper cover up and access the turn signal switch ,

lets start with the right turn signal .. with the truck on , put the right turn signal on and see if you have power on the ORANGE / LIGHT BLUE wire .. this wire should flash your test lamp on and off

if you have power there ,, then I need to know if your truck was built with a display unit in the center console that tells you info , like you have a bulb out and other stuff ,, there is also a common problem there with a moduale in the console

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've got to go catch flight out of town. I'm gonna have to pick this process up on Friday afternoon when I get back. How do I reconnect with you when I get back?
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

this page will stay open for long time,,just log back on to this site and this question will be there , and you can get back to me when you get back , take your time ,

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Chris.

I'll talk to you on Friday

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok, sounds good

Chris