A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2005 f550 6.0 power stroke. No Turbo boost. New turbo and

2005 f550 6.0 power stroke. No Turbo boost. New turbo and actuator installed same thing. No turbo boost. Codes po299, po404,po478,p2262. need help! Exhaust side of old turbo was in bad shape. only 4700.00 ,iled Gregg
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Remove the EGR valve and inspect the lower part of the valve for wet sticky black soot on the valve. It the soot is sticky and wet, your EGR cooler is bad and it also caused the exhaust side of the turbo to fail. It is allowing coolant into the exhaust and through the turbo.

Below is a Ford TSB for the EGR cooler problem and repair.

TSB CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took it off earlier thinking that it could be stuck. It looked fine and operated fine. Other Ideas?

Was it covered with black soot? Was it wet or sticky?

How did you check it for operation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was not wet. All egr valves have some black soot. I operated it manualy. I thought it could be stuck open. It was fine. Nwe turbo ,no boost. Gregg

Code P0299--Turbocharger/Supercharger Under Boost

Possible Causes-- EP sensor, VGT control valve slow/lack of response, turbocharger vane concerns.

Code P0404--Exhaust Gas Recircutlation Control Circuit Range/Performance

Possible Causes--EGR sensor or valve. EGR position circuit, turbocharger vane concerns.

Code P0478--Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High Input

Possible Causes--EP sensor, VGT control valve slow/lack or response, turbocharger vane concerns.

Code P2262--Turbo/Super Charger Boost Pressure Not Detected--Mechanical

Possible Causes--CAC system leaks, MAP hose disconnected, exhaust system leaks, intake system leaks, turbocharger vane concerns.

This is straight from the Factory shop manual describing each code and the possible cause. They all share the same possible cause, turbocharger vane concern. It all depends on who and where you got the replacement turbocharger on your 6.0L.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got the turbo and the actuator from spradley ford, pueblo colorado. is the vgt control valve, the actuator? Where is the ep sensor located?

The EP or EBP (Exhaust Back Pressure) sensor is next to the drivers side valve cover under the coolant degas bottle.

graphic

We have had some problems with the rebuilt turbos from Fords remanufacturer. I personally went through 3 on one truck a couple of weeks ago. The actuator rod on the back side of the turbo, we always make sure it moves freely before installing the turbo. They also do not package them very well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You need to look at what we are working on. no rod on actuator. actuator is in the turbo part# XXXXX Is the vgt and actuator the same part? Actoator is controled electronicly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OOPS. actuator# XXXXX

I know, there is also a rod/lever on the back side. The VGT solenoid mounts on the front side between the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel and is held into place with a 10mm 12 point bolt and a bracket.

graphic

What I am trying to tell you is that the vanes that the VGT actuates can get stuck closed inside the turbo. Below is a picture of the vanes.

graphic

You can take the clamp off the turbo and separate it and inspect the turbo vanes and the plate that opens them. It should turn freely on the turbine side of the turbo. Below is a TSB for the codes

CLICK HERE

If it wasn't rebuilt properly, the vanes will stay closed and you will have no turbo boost and the codes you have will be in the ECU.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Look, this is two turbos that do the exact same thing. The actuator and vgt are the same thing. This is a fire truck. The don't use much. only 47 hundred miles in 5 years. How about the ep tube being pluged? no rod on back side of turbo 6.0 you are thinking of 7.3. I just don't but two turbos doing same thing. Gregg

How long ago did you replace the turbo?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Today!! With truck setting here. Scanner shows 13 psi of exhaust pressure. engine off. When I start truck it stays the same. I removed sensor and am going to start truck and see if tube is pluged. Please reply. Gregg
You can check the tube. It usually plugs at the top near the sensor, but it will not cause all the codes. With the truck sitting and not running a lot, rust can build up in the original turbo and also the EBP tube can plug up because the truck does not run long enough to remove the moisture from the exhaust.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tube ok. holding old compression gauge on top of tube with engine running i get 1 psi. what are your specs? with engine off scanner shows 13 psi. got to be a bad sensor. if ep sensor effects operation of vgt, then i think it could cause all codes.

Acronym Key On Low Idle High Idle Operating Range Measurement UnitsDescription

EBP 103 (15)110 (16)110 (16)55 - 607 (8 - 88)kPa (PSI) Exhaust Press

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all of your message did nit show on my screen. could try again?

The EBP should read----

---15 psi with the key on.

---16 psi at low idle

---16 psi at high idle

Operating range is 8 psi thru 88 psi.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now i get just that. Soo where do we go next? Do you have any info on what all makes the vgt function. And any other sensors that could affect its function.

That is what I was stating earlier.

Are you getting the same exact codes that you had before replacing the turbo?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but I have not cleared them yet. nothing new.
Clear them out and retest the system. It's getting late down here in Florida. We can continue this tomorrow if that's ok with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will clear codes. What time will you be availble?
I am on most of the day, it depends on how busy we are at the dealership. But I will definitely be on full time after 5:00 PM EST.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I cleared the codes what do you want me to do next. I think what ever controls the vgt is screwed up. Is there a module or something. Thanks Gregg

There is the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) The TCM (Transmission Control Module) and the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module).

The PCM and TCM are located next to the battery on the drivers side fender well. The FICM is located on the drivers side valve cover.

Drive the truck and then retest for the codes.

Also if your scan tool and do these self test.
KOEO (Key On Engine Off)

KOER (Key On Engine Running)

Also see if it will self test the FICM and the PCM separately. If you can monitor the sensors, you should be able to.

It's getting late, I'll be back on line tomorrow afternoon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, Thanks

Now that I've had some sleep, and I'm at the shop now,let me do a little digging and I'll post more info this afternoon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I cleared codes and drove just a few blocks and it set p2262.

Here is the shop manual description of the code P2262.

2005 PCED On Board Diagnostics 6.0L DieselSECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
Procedure revision date: 11/20/2009

KA: Turbocharger System Performance
Introduction
KA: Pinpoint Tests

Signal Functions

The variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM uses an exhaust pressure (EP) sensor to monitor the pressure and adjust the VGT solenoid duty cycle. The VGT solenoid receives a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal from the PCM that controls the solenoid on/off time. The VGT solenoid directs oil to a piston within the actuator housing. The direction of oil flow to the piston increases or decreases the exhaust pressure.

Sensor Bias

The VGT solenoid control is based on input sensors. The input sensors are used to calculate the engine speed, desired fuel quantity, altitude, and exhaust pressure. The amount of voltage the sensor deviates from a calculated reference value (sensor bias) may cause a commanded versus actual pressure calculation error.

Detection/Management

The PCM monitors the exhaust pressure. A DTC is set when the difference between the commanded and the actual exhaust pressure is not within the calibrated limits.

NOTICE: The PCM harness connectors must be properly seated and the connector latch properly attached to eliminate possible driveability concerns or a no-start condition. Installing PCM connectors on an angle may cause an improper connection, misdiagnosis, and damaged components. Install the connector until the lever pivots and seats itself. Apply light pressure to get the connector into position on the PCM and then fully seat the connector.

Note: Visually inspect the harness connectors for corrosion, damage, proper mating, and correct pin tension.

DTC Descriptions

• P0299 = Turbo/Super Charger Underboost
  • P0478 = Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High Input
  • P2262 = Turbo/Super Charger Boost Pressure Not Detected
  • P2263 = Turbo/Super Charger System Boost Performance

Below is link for the pin point test for the code.

CLICK HERE

Reading through the test for the code looks like it is a bad EGR valve. It all depends on what your scan tool can do to find out if it is. The EGR valve may look good and move manually, but it can also fail electrically. If you scan tool alows you to operate the EGR valve with it, see if you can electrically open it and close it. The engine will quiet down and almost sound like a car engine. It will not sound like a diesel. Also if your engine is running quiet, and you have no boost and the code P2262, it looks like the EGR valve.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks like to me that some of these test will have to be done at ford. Can you tell me where the map sensor is located? Thanks Gregg

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor is located on the passenger side of the engine just above the passenger side valve cover.

graphic

It has a hose and a connector on it.

As for the test, that was why I was asking what your scan tool is capable of doing. But if your scan tool cannot perform some of the test, then yes, the dealership would be the best place to take the truck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, some of your info said hose could have come off map, it had not. Tried egr off a truck that had no known problems. That did not fix it. Ep was with in specs. the other night. Don't have a smoke tester. Told them to take it to ford. What do I owe you. It is wort more than15 dollars. Gregg

That is all up to you. I am only on here to help.

The decision is all up to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I change the dollar amount?

You click the ACCEPT button and if you want to give a Bonus, you can do it that way. The question dollar amount cannot be changed.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance