Justin
Justin, Ford Technician
Experience:  12 years automotive exp. 8 being at high volume Ford dealer. Ford master certified tech.
42611690

I have a 2003 ford cvpi(crown vic police interc.). The cooling

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford cvpi(crown vic police interc.). The cooling fan will not turn on. There is 12 volts going to the fan for power but a 3rd wire orange/red is what turns the fan on low or high speed. Turned a/c on, no power to wire. let motor heat to 210, no power to wire. I hooked up a scan tool to the ecu and got 2 codes with no check engine light on. they are

in order:
P1464 A/C demand out of self test
P0480 Fan 1 control ckt malf.

I can't find any relays on the fan control and am leaning to a bad pcm. I'm sure there could be a simpler problem I'm over looking.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like you have a bad engine cooling fan module. If you remove frt core support cover by removing clips you will see module pretty close to radiator. The module has 5 wires going to it....2 main leads from module to fan, 1 pwr wire from fuse f1.102, a ground wire and 1 input from pcm. I would check the red and black wire to make sure there is pwr on it and the black wire to make sure there is ground. If both of those circuits are good and your coolant temp sensor is sending correct reading to pcm I would suggest replacing that module. If Satisfied with answer please select accept. Bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless. Let me know if you need more assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am unable to locate the engine cooling fan module that has 5 wires leading to it. took off cover and don't see anything. tried to look it up on the internet and couldn't find it or in my manual.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.

How many wires do you have going to motor?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the setup on a 2003 crown vic changed from 98 - 02. From what I understand I have a variable speed module (thats mounted to the fan shroud). I have 3 wires to it. Red(positive), black (ground), and Red/orange(Goes to PCM). The red and black are getting 12+ volts consistly so it's getting power. There is no engine cooling fan module by the radiator that I'm aware of. The coolant sensor tells the pcm when to turn the fan on and/or a/c compressor will tell the pcm when to turn on fan. There are no relays within the system that I'm aware of because the PCM controls this. The only thing I can think of is bad pcm, bad connection to pcm terminal 28 (red/orange wire), or could the module on the a/c compressor keep the pcm from turning the fan on.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Ok you have that setup. My Ford diagrams were showing module mounted on core support. But I know what you are talking about now. I work in the fleet dept here at our dealership and have replaced numerous variable speed modules on police vehicles for this very concern. Sorry about the confusion.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ran a new wire from terminal 28 at the pcm to the control wire on the variable speed mod. Fan now turns on but stays on and doesn't shut off. At least I have a fan now. Only thing that confuses me is I have a basic 16 guage wire at the pcm and a 10-8 guage wire at the variable speed module. Why? I don't get it. There has to be something connected between the mod & pcm. I understand the pos. & neg. being a thicker guage, but if the red/orange wire is only a signal wire why waste the copper. After going through the manual & internet I can't find anything that is between the pcm to fan.
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
I left you a schematic and a view of the pcm connector. I dont see anything between the 2 also. That doesnt make sense. Make sure your on the right pin at the pcm. Thank you