Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

my 1997 ford f150 4.2L 4x4 wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear

my 1997 ford f150 4.2L 4x4 won't shift into 3rd or 4th gear it just seems to slip and the overdive light flashes on and off, i changed fluid and filter, it didn't help, fluid was clean and no metal. 1st and 2nd seems to work fine. its not given any codes. I also replaced the speed sensor. answer yet ? need a answer. since you have no answer , no pay
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You need a different scan tool, If the OD light is flashing then there are codes stored. Scan tools which can read transmission codes start at about 800$. Cheap scan tools can only retrieve engine codes. Since 1st and 2nd are good then the fault is going to be a failed direct clutch inside the transmission. Since it tries to shift and just slips this rules out the solenoids. The stored code is most likely going to 3rd and 4th gear ratio codes. The fix is a overhaul.