jimchill
jimchill, Ford Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a ford dealership
30684252

2008 Ford F350: my power steering pump..smoothly..steering wheel

We're working on a 2008 Ford F350 with 6.4 L engine; my power steering pump when out and I replaced it, following all manufacturer's installation procedures, bleeded the system correctly and the pump is running very smoothly. The problem I am having now is that as long as I am driving my truck has good steering but as soon as I come to a complete stop, the steering gets very hard and I can't turn the steering wheel. I know oil is flowing and circulating properly and now wondering if the gear box is bad. Ford Motor has had many complaints, but I don't know if they have come up with a fix for this problem. Others with same problems have already replace the gear box and steering pump a few time and have not been able to correct this problem. Help !!!!!!
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Ford
Expert:  jimchill replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer. What did the fluid look like that was in the system before the pump was replaced?

Did you flush the power steering system to eliminate and contanimates from the bad pump?

Jim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jim

Although fluid didn't smell burnt there might have been some moisture in the system as fluid looked slightly milky.

Yes system was flushed not only by us but also by a Ford dealer auto shop. System was bled until it had no air.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jim

I have not heard back from you as I provided additional information on my first reply this morning --- 7/1/2010. If you don't have an answer for me I would like to know that also, if you're still researching, disregard this 2nd message.

Thanks!

Expert:  jimchill replied 6 years ago.
Yeah, I just started working and seen your post. I am looking into your concern and will pst back shortly. Jim
Expert:  jimchill replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the hydro boost brakes on your truck?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes this vehicle has hydro-boost.
Expert:  jimchill replied 6 years ago.

I dont know if it will help your problem or not but they make a filter that goes in line on these systems. it def will help with part failure in the future. I will get you the bulletin. I am also waiting on some replies from a couple Ford diesel guys I know on your original concern too. Jim

Having an issue with the upload. I will send it shortly. Jim

Expert:  jimchill replied 6 years ago.

Here is a copy of that b illetin I talked about earlier, sorry that it took so long. Jim

BRAKE PEDAL KICKBACK OR GRABBING
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 07-11-10, Date of Issue: June 11, 2007
FORD:1997-2007 E-Series; 1999-2008 F-Super Duty; 2000-2005 Excursion
Superceded Bulletin(s): 99-25-8, Date of Issue: December 13, 1999
Related Ref Number(s): 07-11-10, 99-25-8
ARTICLE BEGINNING
ISSUE
NOTE:This article supersedes TSB 99-25-8 to update the vehicle model years.

Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-Boost® brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.
ACTION
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-Boost® are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.
Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).
Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
FILTERING PROCEDURE
CAUTION:BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.
Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
NOTE:DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.
With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-Boost® brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.
PARTS INFORMATION
PARTS INFORMATION
Part NumberPart Name
XC3Z-7B155-BAPower Steering Fluid Filter Assy.
5C7Z-2005-BHydro-Boost® Assy. - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion
6C3Z-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Assy. - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty
7C3Z-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Assy. - 2008 F-Super Duty
F7UZ-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Assy. - 1997-1998 E-Series
XC2Z-2005-AAHydro-Boost® Assy. - 1999-2001 E-Series
6C2Z-2005-ABHydro-Boost® Assy. - 2002-2007 E-Seres

WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
IMPORTANT:Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
OperationDescriptionTime
MT071110Use SLTS Operations If Available; Claim Additional Diagnosis Or Labor Performed As Actual TimeActual Time

DEALER CODING
Basic Part No.Condition Code
200507