Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

2001 Ford Taurus SE: Liter engine..cam..AC..it overheating

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 Liter engine single cam. When I let the car idle or drive it on surface streets with the AC on I have no problems with it overheating. When I drive it during the day (Ilive in Phoenix where the Temps. are hitting 113%) on the Freeway it will overheat. I have replaced the thermostat, the radiator cap, had a compression check done, there are no leaks. The AC is very cold and like I said I can let it idle for hours with no overheating. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 4 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, the most common causes of this are a clogged radiator or a bad head gasket. If the head gasket is definitely good then you may want to replace the radiator or have it rodded out. It can also be poor circulation from the water pump.
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any way to check the head gasket or the radiator to make sure whcih one it may be before I start spending money on guesses? I have a mechanic who told me he thought it was the head gasket but couldn't check it out for me without pulling the spark plugs. How do I know which way to proceed thank you, Sharon
Okay SHaron. Pull off the coolant cap and start the engine while it is cold. Watch the inside of cooling system to see if any bubbles are present. If you see bubbles forming then there is a good chance that it is a head gasket. If not then the radiator can really only be properly checked by removing it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I really appreciate your help a lot. I'm sorry I don't have more money to spend since this looks like it's going to take every dime I have and then some. Thank You very mcuh for your help, I just wish I could spend more $ with you. Sincerely, Sharon
No problem Sharon. Your accept is enough and I appreciate it. If you have any other questions along the way just request me or come back to this post and I would be more than happy to help you.