Ron W.
Ron W., Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Certified Diesel Technician
31388221

1995 f250: powerstroke..wiring harness burn..glow plugs..injectors

i have a 1995 f250 ford powerstroke 7.3 liter diesel,i had a wiring harness burn up at the front right side of the motor where the harness plugs into the valve cover gasket the wires were burnt pretty bad and i am trying to find out the order of the wires.it is a five pin plug and the outside wires are brown the three in the middle are different colors and one is striped they control glow plugs and injectors .would have wired it in order but nothing left to go by,bought new harness and trying to fix
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron W. replied 4 years ago.
Ok,
I can tell you that the brown ones on the outside feed the two glow plugs in that section the center one is the orange wire and is the injector ground return from each injector with the second ones in from each end being the injector feed circuits that you don't want mixed up.
So if you are dealing with the right front (that is passenger side front) that is #1 and #3 cyl injectors. The #1 inj. feed is brown w/yellow stripe, #3 inj. feed is tan.
Just in case you need to reference the back connector on the same pass. side it is the same layout with the orange and brown wires, except the #5 inj. there is tan w/ black stripe, and #7 inj. is tan w/ red stripe.
I should also tell you that the reason the connectors get hot and melt is because of a poor connection on the glow plug pins (not good contact), and when you replace the hardshell you need to also replace the pin connectors as well to insure a good fit and contact at the gasket pins. The glow plugs are a high amperage draw and a poor connection gets hot and increases the resistance getting it even hotter and hotter until it melts down.
Let me know if you have any further questions on this.
Sincerely,
Ron Wiggins

If this ends up being helpful please hit the accept button as this is the only way I get any credit here. Feel free to reply also.

Edited by Ron W. on 6/27/2010 at 6:09 AM EST
Ron W., Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Certified Diesel Technician