Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

Ford Windstar: problem with my cooling fans..fuses under hood

Customer Question

Ford Windstar 1995 . I'm having a problem with my cooling fans. I checked the fuses under hood . They all look good . The connections to the fans wires are secure . Wires look good going into wire harness then I lose sight of where it's going. Heard this was a common problem with this van and an easy fix . What is the easy fix? Is there any controlling fuse in main fuse panel inside van I need to check or a sensor? Please help. Main Problem fans not coming on at all . Update I unhooked the sensor and the fans kicked on. Can I leave the sensor off till I get the new part?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 4 years ago.
The most common problem with these is a failure in the CCRM(constant control relay module) located near the battery under the hood.There is also a voltage dropping resistor that can also go bad located near the right side engine compartment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where would I find the CCRM to make sure it is plugged in right and what does it look like?
it is a 3X4 metal box located near the battery and above the cooling fan,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with about 20 wires going into the top of it? It almost looks like a over sized Relay? Also when I turn my air conditioning on the fans works . they go on and off but if I turn the air off the fans do not work at all and the van starts to get up too 230 .
Yes,that is it.unplug the coolant temp sensor to see if the fan comes on.It may have a PCM issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry it has taken so long to get back . Power has been out due to a really bad storm. PCM issue?
The PCM receives a signal from the temp sensor and sends a fan operation signal to the CCRM.Unplug the temp sensor to see if the fan comes on .if it does,the pcm is ok and the sensor will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok will do that thank you. You have been a great help .
You are welcome,Please check the ACCEPT tab to assure that I receive credit for helping you.Thanks! Scott
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry last question . I unhooked the Temp sensor and the fans came on so I have a new module coming. Can I leave the temp sensor unhooked to keep the fan on or will it hurt something ?
If the fan came on when you unplugged the temp sensor,you need to replace the temp sensor.