EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

My wifes 2002 Ford Explorer has an intermittent starting problem.

Customer Question

My wife's 2002 Ford Explorer has an intermittent starting problem. It usually happens on a hot day after she has driven around to the stores. She'll get into the car and try and start it and it will not start. It turns over, but the engine will not start. If we let it sit until the outside temperature drops in the late afternoon/evening it will start right up as if nothing at all is wrong. Every mechanic I've talked to says unless it's broken when it comes to them they can only guess the cause. Please give me an opinion as to what I should do. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX CA
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Can I get a VIN #, I remember a TSB on these.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

vin 1FMZU62E52ZC29923

We are the original owner. The car has very low mileage for an eight year old vehicle, between 75 & 80 Kmiles. When car was new it immediately developed a simular problem and the Ford dealer eventually had to replace the main computer. It has been trouble free until this past fall when it started this problem, usually on very hot days. As soon as the outside temps go down it starts right up. We have been at a loss because it does not always fail making it very difficult for any mechancic to diagnos.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

I would have your local dealer reflash/update your PCM to the latest calibration. I would also have the IAC replaced, I have attached the TSB explaining what can happen.

FORD:2000-2003 TAURUS
2002 THUNDERBIRD
2000-2003 EXPLORER, RANGER
2001-2003 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, EXPLORER SPORT
LINCOLN:2000-2002 LS
MERCURY:2000-2003 SABLE, MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:

Some vehicles, may exhibit drivability conditions. These may include:

• No start
  • Difficult to start
  • Stall
  • Low idle
  • Rough idle
  • High idle
  • Hesitation/surge while accelerating or at steady speed

These conditions may be intermittent with no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and no Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). In some cases DTC and MIL may be evident.

ACTION:

Trouble cannot be identified with 95% of returned Idle Air Control (IAC) valves. The following procedure is supplemental information to normal diagnostics to facilitate accurate identification of malfunctioning valves. These symptoms would include engine stall, hard start, crank/no start, idling problems, and Idle Speed Control System related DTC's.

If the service writer uses the attached worksheet (Figure 2) for all drivability concerns including stalls it will assist the technician making a correct repair the first time.

Perform normal diagnostics.

SERVICE INFORMATION

NOTE:IT MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE TO DUPLICATE THE CUSTOMER CONCERN. ALTHOUGH THE CONDITION MAY NOT BE DUPLICATED, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT ANY EVALUATION OF THE IAC VALVE BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING SERVICE PROCEDURE.

IAC DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE TIPS - GENERAL

Never clean an IAC valve. Carburetor cleaners and other cleaning agents may temporarily repair the drivability concern, but the long-term functionality of the valve is compromised.

For all drivability concerns, make certain the service writer obtains as much information as possible from the customer as to the conditions causing drivability concern. Attached is a drivability concern check off sheet (Figure 2) that if used, can help reduce the time required to diagnose a vehicle.

NOTE:IF THE ENGINE STALLED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS IN GEAR AND MOVING THE POSSIBILITY OF THE IAC VALVE CAUSING THIS IS UNLIKELY UNLESS IT OCCURRED ON DECELERATION.

Use the following Supplemental information for 3.0L 4V Duratec Engines, in the Taurus/Sable, and Lincoln LS.

1. Use the following conditions for the test described below:
    • Transmission in park
    • Engine temperature should be at least 190° F (88° C)
    • All accessories should be off steering wheel in the center position
    • EGVR and EVAPDUTY CYCLE at zero, if the vehicle has an EGR system
    • Short and long term fuel trims less than 15%
    • At stabilized engine speed (RPM) and temperature (hot idle) per the Powertrain Control Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) manual, verify the IAC duty cycle is within reference values called out in the following chart in this TSB.

NOTE:IT IS USUAL TO SEE THE IAC DUTY CYCLE VARY BY 1% TO 2% OVER SEVERAL MINUTES.

If the Duty Cycle is out of specification, proceed with the following steps:

1. Ensure that there is no purge flow.
  2. Verify PCM harness integrity by performing a wiggle test on the harness while the engine is running and observe the IAC duty cycle and engine performance. Should abnormalities be observed, repair the harness as required.
  3. For an IAC duty cycle high concern, unplug and plug in the IAC power connector several times. If the duty cycle remains high, replace IAC valve.
  4. For an IAC duty cycle low concern, there may be an intake air leak. See the below IAC diagnostic service tip for DTC 1506 and other high idle concerns.

Use the following Supplemental information for the 3.9L Lincoln LS and Thunderbird.

• Transmission in park
    • Engine idle at approximately 650 RPM
    • All accessories and the engine cooling fan should be off
    • Steering wheel in the center position
    • EGRVR and EVAPDUTY CYCLE are zero

NOTE:IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO CHECK THE IAC DUTY CYCLE WHEN THE RPM IS AT 650 RPM. EVEN 700 RPM IS TOO HIGH FOR CHECKING the IAC VALVE DUTY CYCLE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE RPM IS OVER 650 RPM, MOMENTARILY OPENING AND CLOSING THE THROTTLE AND A SHORT EQUILIBRATION TIME WILL LOWER THE RPM.

At stabilized engine speed and temperature, verify that the IAC duty cycle is between 27-36% with no purge flow (EVAPV duty cycle is 0%).

1. Ensure there is no purge flow.

NOTE:IF THE ORIGINAL IAC VALVE WAS WITHIN DUTY CYCLE SPECIFICATION OR THE DUTY CYCLE REMAINS OUT OF SPECIFICATIONS AFTER IAC VALVE REPLACEMENT FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS ARE REQUIRED TO ADDRESS THE CUSTOMER CONCERN.

Use the following Supplemental information for 4.0L SOHC Engines in the Ranger, Explorer, Mountaineer, Explorer Sport and Explorer Sport Trac.

If no DTC's present check the following items in this order before examining the IAC valve:

• BARO Hz reading - Refer to Barometric Pressure Chart listed in this TSB
  • Battery and fuse box power lead
  • Ground wire attachments
  • Wiring (wiggle test)
  • PCM voltage
  • Vacuum leaks

Examine IAC valve under these conditions:

• PCM updated to the latest available calibration
  • Transmission in park
  • Warm stabilized vehicle with engine temperature at least 190° F (88° C)
  • All accessories and cooling fan should be off
  • Steering wheel in the center position
  • EGVR and EVAPDC at zero, if the vehicle has an EGR system
  • Short and long term fuel trims (less than 15)

Perform the following steps in order:

1. Using either NGS or WDS bring up the following PIDS: IACTRIM, IACKAM2, IACKAM3.
  2. Allow vehicle to idle until the IACTRIM PID is 0.

NOTE:IACTRIM ALWAYS TRIES TO GO TO 0. WHEN MOVING TOWARDS 0, THE IACKAM2 PID SHOULD BE CHANGING. IF IACKAM3 IS CHANGING, THEN THE AIR CONDITIONING SHOULD BE TURNED OFF.

3. If IACKAM2 is between -0.35 and +0.35 with IACTRIM=0, then the valve is operating properly at idle. The remainder of this TSB will help diagnose true root cause.
  4. If IACKAM2 is not between -0.35 and +0.35, it is highly likely that the engine idle system (to include the throttle body and air intake system) is not operating properly.

NOTE:FOR ALL VEHICLES PLEASE RECORD THE OBSERVED IAC DUTY CYCLE AND ENGINE RPM IN THE WARRANTY CLAIMS COMMENTS FOR THIS DIAGNOSTIC.

IAC Diagnostic Service Tips - DTC 1506 (IAC Over Speed Error) and other High Idle Concerns:

• There are two primary causes of high idle:
    1. Damaged IAC valves and
    2. Vacuum leaks
    3. IAC valves can be damaged from engine induction backfires. Many times the customer may not notice the induction backfire but will notice the high idle afterwards. Indications of valve damage can be a shiny, almost polished appearance in the interior of the valve and a dislocated pintle. An IAC valve damaged by backfire should be replaced. Refer to Figure 1.
    4. Inspect PCV system for leaks especially looking for cracks along any rubber elbow joints; also verify that the correct PCV valve is installed.
    5. Inspect for vacuum hoses loose or disconnected from intended ports and connections. Induction backfire can loosen or disconnect vacuum hoses.
    6. Two indicators can help you identify if a vacuum leak is present, even if the engine RPM appear normal in the service bay. If the duty cycle is below specification that is indicative that the engine is receiving too much air (from a vacuum leak) and the PCM is ordering the valve to close up to restrict flow. Another indication is fuel trim. Record the long term and short term fuel trim PIDS (LONGFT1, LONGFT2, SHORTFT1, etc.), if short term fuel trims are high (above specification) this is a possible indication of a vacuum leak, making the engine run lean, and the PCM is attempting to compensate.

IAC Diagnostic Service Tips - DTC 1507 (IAC Under Speed Error) and Other Low Idle Concerns:

• An under speed error may not necessarily be a fault with the IAC valve. A large friction load on the engine or obstruction in the air intake system could also reduce the engine RPMs.
  • There are four possible sources of friction load that can contribute to under speed error or low idle concerns.
    1. Power Steering Load
    2. Air Conditioning Load
    3. Electrical Load
    4. Automatic Transmission Torque Converter Load

IAC Diagnostic Service Tips - Rough Idle Concerns:

• Rough idle concerns are often a result of a lean running condition
  • Another possible cause is contamination build up on the MAF sensor

IAC Diagnostic Service Tips - Engine Hard Start/Engine Crank-No Start

• While performing diagnostics, the technician should ensure that the fuel system is working correctly for all engines with hard start/crank no-start complaints.
  • When diagnosing a mechanical return less fuel system, the following correction to the PC/ED pinpoint HC (4) diagnostic procedure should be used when performing the KEOE fuel pressure test:
  • Perform the KOEO fuel pressure test as specific in the PC/ED manual.
  • The fuel pressure should drop off no more than 10 psi from maximum pressure (no lower than 55 psi for a 65 psi max system or no lower than 45 psi for a 55 psi max system) within 5 minutes of the start of the test.
  • The fuel pressure should drop off to no less than 30 psi within 30 minutes of the start of the test.
  • For greatest accuracy, the service technician should read the fuel pressure as soon as possible after pump shut off, no more than 5 minutes after the start of the test.

NOTE:RETURNABLE AND ELECTRONIC RETURN LESS SYSTEMS SHOULD ALSO BE DIAGNOSED USING THE PROCEDURES LISTED FOR THEM IN PINPOINT TEST HC.

IAC Diagnostic Service Tips - High Idle RPM at Start Up:

• Most engines will have a temporary high idle at engine start up to allow for catalyst light off. If DTC 1506 is not present, this indicates that there is no fault present with the IAC.
  • A vehicle with very low odometer miles, may exhibit a higher than normal temporary startup fast idle (1600-2500 RPM that decreases slowly). No repairs should be attempted because this is a normal temporary PCM calibration strategy to prevent spark plug fouling during plant/transportation operation. The calibration will permanently revert to its normal strategy after the PCM has seen its first 4 miles of continuous drive cycle. A brand new vehicle may accumulate some mileage without turning this strategy off if the drive cycle has been below 4 miles at a time.

IAC Diagnostic Service Tips - IAC Valve Noise Issues

For IAC valve noise concerns check for obstructed or potentially damaged IAC valve from backfire.

NOTE:ON SOME NEWER MODEL YEAR VEHICLES THE REACTION SPEED OF THE IAC VALVE IS FAST ENOUGH THAT IT MIGHT MAKE A "POPPING" SOUND AS IT REACTS TO A LARGE IDLE LOAD. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC AND NO ATTEMPTS SHOULD BE MADE IN AN EFFORT TO MODIFY THE PERFORMANCE OF THE IAC VALVE. IF POSSIBLE, COMPARE AGAINST A LIKE VEHICLE.

2000 MODEL YEAR - IAC DUTY CYCLE AND ENGINE RPM
Vehicle LineEngine SizeIAC Duty CycleEngine DSDRPMEngine RPM
Lincoln LS (A/T)3.0L27-47%725695-755
Lincoln LS (M/T)3.0L20-40%850820-880
Lincoln LS (A/T)3.9L27-36%650628-668
Taurus3.0L 4V16-50%704674-734
Sable3.0L 4V16-50%704674-734

2001 MODEL YEAR - IAC DUTY CYCLE AND ENGINE RPM
Lincoln LS (A/T)3.0L27-47%725695-755
Lincoln LS (M/T)3.0L20-40%850820-880
Lincoln LS (A/T)3.9L27-36%650628-668
Taurus3.0L 4V24-52%704674-734
Sable3.0L 4V24-52%704674-734

2002 MODEL YEAR - IAC DUTY CYCLE AND ENGINE RPM
Lincoln LS (A/T)3.0L30-50%725695-755
Lincoln LS (M/T)3.0L31-51%850820-880
Lincoln LS (A/T)3.9L27-36%650628-668
Thunderbird (A/T)3.9L27-36%650628-668
Taurus3.0L 4V24-52%656626-686
Sable3.0L 4V24-52%656626-686

2003 MODEL YEAR - IAC DUTY CYCLE AND ENGINE RPM
Taurus3.0L 4V24-52%656626-686
Sable3.0L 4V24-52%656626-686

NOTE:REMEMBER THAT MOST WEATHER SERVICES REPORT A LOCAL BAROMETRIC PRESSURE THAT HAS BEEN CORRECTED TO SEA LEVEL. THE BARO PID, ON THE OTHER HAND, REPORTS THE ACTUAL BAROMETRIC PRESSURE FOR THE ALTITUDE THE VEHICLE IS BEING OPERATED IN. LOCAL WEATHER CONDITIONS (HIGH AND LOW PRESSURE AREAS) WILL CHANGE THE LOCAL BAROMETRIC PRESSURE BY SEVERAL INCHES OF MERCURY (±3 Hz, ±1 in. Hg.).

NOTE:BARO IS UPDATED ONLY WHEN THE VEHICLE IS AT HIGH THROTTLE OPENINGS. THEREFORE, A VEHICLE, WHICH IS DRIVEN DOWN FROM A HIGHER ALTITUDE MAY NOT HAVE HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO UPDATE THE BARO VALUE IN KAM. IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT THAT BARO HAS BEEN UPDATED, PERFORM THREE OR FOUR HEAVY, SUSTAINED ACCELERATIONS AT GREATER THAN HALF-THROTTLE TO ALLOW BARO TO UPDATE.

BAROMETRIC PRESSURE REFERENCE
Barometric Pressure (in. Hg.)Barometric Pressure (kPa)BARO/MAP PID (Hz)Altitude above sea level (ft)
3.511.889.3
516.992.8
1033.8104.6
1550.7117.014,000
2067.5129.610,000
2170.9132.59,000
2274.3135.48,000
2377.7138.37,000
2481.1141.16,000
2584.4144.05,000
2687.8146.94,000
2791.2149.83,000
2894.6152.82,000
2997.9155.81,000
30101.3158.90 (sea level)
31104.7162.0
31.875107.7164.7

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:

Information Only

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the PCM and what's its function? What is the IAC and what is it's function?

Our vehicle runs really well and never stalls, surges, or fast idles. The problem only manifests in the it simply will not start after being driven around on hot days. Even that is intermittent.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

The PCM is the main computer (powertrain control module) and the IAC is the idle air controller.

The idle air control (IAC) valve assembly (Figure 117) and (Figure 118) controls engine idle speed and provides a dash pot function. The IAC valve assembly meters intake air around the throttle plate through a bypass within the IAC valve assembly and throttle body. The PCM determines the desired idle speed or bypass air and signals the IAC valve assembly through a specified duty cycle. The IAC valve responds by positioning the IAC valve to control the amount of bypassed air. The PCM monitors engine rpm and increases or decreases the IAC duty cycle in order to achieve the desired rpm.

The IAC valve (part of throttle body assembly) has an internal diode on some applications. If the internal diode is measured in crossed terminal position with a digital multimeter, there will be an incorrect or negative reading. It is important that the mating component and harness connectors correctly oriented. Diagnostic procedures emphasize this importance.

The PCM uses the IAC valve assembly to control:

• No touch start
  • Cold engine fast idle for rapid warm-up
  • Idle (corrects for engine load)
  • Stumble or stalling on deceleration (provides a dash pot function)
  • Over-temperature idle boost.
  • Air Assist to Injectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you feel that in light of the fact that we have no other symptoms related to the IAC valve and it's interaction with the PCM main computer other than the car not starting occassionally, that this could be causing our problem? This sure sounds like what we went through with our local Ford dealer when the vehicle was new. We kept taking it back, they'd replace a component and we would get stuck somewhere and have have it towed back in. The problem was they had no codes to go by and they were all just guessing under warrantee. They replaced the PCM finally and the problem went away. I'm trying to be darn sure because I can't afford to have Ford guessing when I'm paying for all the parts and labor.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
The thing here is the fact there have been updates since then , and the IAC at this time is a likely candidate in this area. The IAC has been an issue since they came out with it, and it like running Windows 95, your PCM has not been updated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Assuming I got lucky and was able to get my vehicle to a dealer with the problem present ( engine will crank, but not start ) would they be able to get a code to verify what was going on?

The problem occurred yesterday and I noticed that when I laid down next to the vehicle on the side of the fuel tank and had my wife turn the key to the on position, I could not hear the fuel pump turn on. We went back last evening after the outside temperature had cooled and I had my wife turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump could be heard pressurizing the system and when she cranked the engine it started right up and we drove the vehicle home. Would a faulty IAC valve and the PCM not being updated cause the fuel pump not to pressurize the the system prior to starting? Are electric fuel pumps known to be sometimes intermittent in these vehicles?

If I took this vehicle into the Ford dealer, what would the approximate ballpark cost be to reflash or update the main computer PCM and have the IAC valve replaced based on the current labor and parts price? We are on a tight budget as many folks are right now and any repairs to the car have to be planned for if possible.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Ok that bit of information is huge, do you have a test light or volt meter ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have an HP digital meter.............................
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

The next time it does not start, lets check voltage at the inertia switch in the right front kick panel. I have a feeling that the relay is failing. There should be 12v going in and coming out.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this under the hood or under the dash? Is there any general location picture for the pillars of the vehicle that I can look at?

Where does the voltage to this relay come from? Is it fed from the ignition switch when the key is in the on position or does it come from some logic source in the main computer? How would I measure the voltage.......by pulling the plug and checking the source side of the plug?

Thanks

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

graphicgraphicThe "A" pillars are the front windshield pillars. The inertia switch is at the bottom behind the kick panel, by the passengers right foot. Check voltage with your volt meter on the incoming side, simply unplug it.. This could be as simple as the fuel pump relay in the battery junction box, that is the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On the diagram showing the inertial switch and the fuel pump relay, which line actually goes to the fuel pump? If it's from the fuel pump relay which appears to be activated by the ignition switch in the start or run position, does this mean the fuel pump pressurizes the system in the start.rum position without any other signals from the main computer or is there more to it than that?

Thanks, George

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
The output side goes directly to the pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Looks like 12 volts is applied to the hot end of the fuel pump relay coil via the ignition switch, does the relay get get it's ground thru the PCM logic circuits or is it connected to hard ground somewhere in the PCM? Sorry I'm getting ahead of troubleshooting this, but I'm trying to figure out what happens if all the obvious components are good. At any rate I think we are starting to make some progress. So far today the vehicle has not failed. Our temperature outside is a little cooler today......................may not brake at all.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Lets take it 1 step at a time. Check the voltage at the inertia switch first....when it acts up.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Keep me posted !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will keep you posted.

The temperature today did not get not get over 83 and the vehicle did not fail. We are supposed to have warmer days from Wednesday on so I suspect that I will not be able to check the inertia switch until then. One day at a time we wait until the thermometer goes up. It needs to reach 88 or higher. This problem started in September of 2009 during our Santa Ana season. The weather cooled and the vehicle ran good all winter until just about a month ago when we got a few days of warm weather................and bingo the trouble returned.

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
lol Wi here in the 40's tonight. keep me posted
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In keeping you posted, the temps yesterday did not go over 83/85 and the vehicle did not fail. The 4th of July forecast has temps to remain cool for us thru the weekend so I suspect we will still be waiting. I'm having my wife drive directly home from work each day instead of stopping at the store first so, if it fails, it will happen in our own driveway at home. One small note..............I located the fuse box where the fuel pump relay is located just to be ready in case it turned out that the relay was suspect. Suspiciously, the cover on the box was open. I do not know if this would cause the relay to be heated up more than normal, but I latched the cover closed. More to come...........I may try and buy some "cooling spray" commonly used to troubleshoot electronic circuits. I could use this to spray the fuel pump relay when the car fails to see if that component may be causing the problem. George Santee, CA

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Pick up a relay at the parts store, they are only a few bucks, about what you might spend on the spray. Keep me in the loop. The cover being up should not mean a thing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks will do..................
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are any of the other relays on the junction box the same type as K4 C1051 fuel pump relay? In other words are there any relays on the junction box that would be interchangeable with the fuel pump relay? Vehicle still has not failed. Will keep you posted. Thanks George santee, CA
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
There are likely a couple, I will check.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm still wating for the vehicle to fail......................weather not hot enough can not check out you tip until it fails..................did you find out about the relays and which ones, if any are idientitcal to the fuel pump relay?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

C1000 & C1050 right next to it.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks sir................I wanted to knwo this because I searched on line parts stores and non the the stores listed the Fuel Pump relay per say. I will search for the other two to get a part number in case U have to replace the fuel pump relay. When am I supposed except your answer and does that terminate our dialog on this problem?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Keep me posted till its fixed. If you accept we can still keep going.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX safe 4th. I stand at the ready to make the voltage check you suggested as soon as the weather heats up enough and it breaks again. George Santee,CA
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
ok enjoy the holiday..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, just like clock work the weather was in the mid to high 80's yesterday and when my wife pulled into the driveway from work and shut the vehicle off. It would not start.

The fuel pump was not turning on when the ignition key was turned to the pre-start on postion. I pulled the plug off the inertia fuel shut off switch and found 12 volts at the input pin when the ignition switch was placed in the on position. I also went to the fuse/relay box under the hood and had my wife cycle the ignition switch and I could feel the fuel pump relay engaging, which it had to doing in order for the 12 volts to show up at the inertial fuel switch plug.

I made a jumper and very carefully jumpered the pins on the inertial switch plug, basically routing 12 volts to the fuel pump past the inertia fuel shutoff switch. If this voltage goes to directly to the fuel pump, it tells me that it's likely the pump is suspect? Please advise me on what's next, in your opinion, so we can complete our session and I can get this car repaired. It's going to be hot for the next few days, so I can get the car to reliably repeat the problem.

If you have more checks for me to do beyond what we have done thus far, please let me know..................Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX CA

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
The inertia switch is the last component, unless you have a wiring issue (which I doubt) you need a fuel pump. They tend to fail in the hotter weather, especially when the tank low or 1/4 tank or less.
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience: 20 years with Ford, Master Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know this is a little late, but I want to thank you sincerely XXXXX XXXXX me with this very difficult problem. My mechanic did not even want to believe the fuel pump was the problem. I told him it was myu call and he replaced the whole fuel pump cage assembly. I also had him replace the fuel filter as it was due. The problem was totally solved and the mechanic has the case down in his notes for the future. Without your trouble shooting help, this would have cost me a whole lot more time an money.

George Nochta Santee, CA