Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

how to remove the fan clutch from the water pump on a 1998

Customer Question

how to remove the fan clutch from the water pump on a 1998 ford explorer?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Below are directions. The fan clutch tools can be rented from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, and they are definitely needed:

1. If necessary, remove the air cleaner outlet tube.
  2. Using Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T84T-6312-C and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T84T-6312-D for the 4.0L engine, or Holder T96T-6312-A and Wrench T96T-6312-B for the 5.0L engine, loosen the large nut attaching the clutch to the water pump hub.

Note:The manufacturer specifies that fan clutch nut is righthand thread

1. Remove the two upper fan shroud retaining bolts. If the overflow hose is routed through the fan shroud, remove it from the shroud.
  2. Lift up on the fan shroud to disengage the lower mounting clips.
  3. Remove the fan/clutch assembly and the fan shroud together.
  4. If necessary, remove the fan-to-clutch bolts to separate the fan from the clutch.

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the fan-to-clutch bolts to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-26 Nm); the hub nut to 34-46 ft. lbs. (46-63 Nm). Tighten the nut in the reverse direction of removal.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

To install:

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement you agreed to as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, diagrams provided, or knowledge until you do so. thank you and have a good day..

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

HI,

I see that you not only viewed but downloaded all the directions yet decided not to pay for services rendered. this is a paysite that you made an agreement to pay for correct answer, which has been provided. kindly click the accept button to pay as you agreed to do as my time is valuable to me.