EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified

2005 ford expedition: hesitate..misfire..I accelerate from 40..coils

My 2005 ford expedition seems to hesitate or misfire as I accelerate from 40-50 and from 60-70, also when decelarating. No code has come up as of yet. It has done this before and I took it in and was told one of the coils needed replacing. Then on another occasion, I just upgraded gas and it stopped. Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Can I have a VIN # ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.

Are you the original owner ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Does it feel like the issues you had back in the fall 2007 ? Your description is exactly the same on the work order in Oct. 2007.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes!, But, one year ago, I began to experience the same problem and i just changed my gas from regular to Plus, and it stopped until now
Expert:  EMRSR replied 6 years ago.
Well if it is coil related or an ignition misfire even on deceleration gas has absolutely nothing to do with it. BTW do not use higher than the recommended octane as it WILL cause a carbon build up on the valves. #2, #3, & #6 coils have been replaced, and #2 & #3 injectors, so it is likely a different cylinder. There is a test that can be performed at the dealer with an IDS, a relative injector flow rate test will show a lazy injector ( open or closed) and a cylinder power balance test will show the misfire on the bad coil or plug....My money is on coils and plugs.