John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

1999 Ford Expedition leaking water not @ the radiator,past

1999 Ford Expedition leaking water not @ the radiator,past the engine, radiator cap has no pressure, no oil in radiator or water in oil
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
John Mc :

Did you find the leak?

Customer:

No its leaking from where I can't see

John Mc :

Does it look like it is coming from the back side of the engine on the passenger side?

Customer:

From passenger side along the exhaust

Customer:

Yes

John Mc :

It is possible it is coming from the intake manifold all the way towards the rear? There is an elbow pipe that one of the heater hoses goes to. Either the hose or the pipe itself could be leaking as these are very common leak points. If it is the pipe you will need to remove the intake to get the old one out and replace it.

John Mc :

Once you feel I have helped please help me by accepting my answer as this is how I recieve credit for my work today.

Customer:

Is this bad news for my engine, and what is the cost @ a shop? Is this a diffucult at home job for a rookie?

John Mc :

Not too bad but a shop will charge about $200-$400 depending on the shop. A bit difficult if you have never removed an intake. You have to remove the fuel lines, the alternator and you actually remove the whole top part of the engine.

Customer:

Why does it only leak when the engine is running, will I cause further damage if I drive it to work one more time can"t fix unitl tomorrow morning, it's not overheating? And its not a head gasket or anything is it?

John Mc :

It only leaks when running because that is one of the highest points in the system. When the pump runs and pressurizes the system then it will come out. Head gaskets don't usually leak coolant on these but it is still a possibility. Use a flashlight and check closely back there. It is a pain but if you see that it is wet up there this is most likely the cause. Make sure to fill it with water and check the level before you come home and take a gallon of water for good insurance. You should be ok.

Customer:

What would a head gasket leak is this a costly fix

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience