Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

99 windstar: 3.8l..coolant leak near throttle body..intake manifold

99 windstar 3.8l,has coolant leak near throttle body/thermostat area.Is this the coolant tube on intake manifold that is leaking?Appears that is area that is spraying.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Ron :

Can you pinpoint the excate area?

Customer:

no,i am relaying info by phone from my daughter that is in vegas and lives in phoenix.I am in Elko,nv

Customer:

it looks like it is under plenum on drivers side,however.

Ron :

With not being there to see the leak, It could be something as simple as the upper radaitor hose and I would suspect that before I would the thermostat housing and or gasket. If its under the plenum it could be the intake gasket.

Customer:

no,it is not the upper rad hose,for sure or thermostat housing.about 6 inches in toward the passenger side.

Ron :

If its under the plenum , its very likely could be the lower intake gasket.

Customer:

how involved to replace?

Ron :

The upper and lower manifolds will both have to come off, put I would do a presssure test and try and pinpoint it and again before you remove the intake. I can send you instructions on the intake if needed.

Ron :

The total labor on the upper and lower runs about 3.5 hours.

Customer:

well it leaks out real well with or without pressurizing sytem (overfow cap on or off) just because of location on back side of plemun,it is hard to locate exactly.It is not an easy spot for sure.trying to localize better as you and i speak

Customer:

She is saying it is a hose that runs under plenum ,feels lkie hard rubber.She is going to try to get a picture to send me.

Ron :

That has to be a heater hose (or throttle body heater hose) but if it under the plenum, its going to have to come off to replace it anyways.

Customer:

I know it would be easier if I was there to see it, but I understand her nomenclature and she has good eyes. What would be the procedure to get to this puppy?

Customer:

and what all Ford parts needed?

Ron :

Let me send you upper intake instructions.

Customer:

thanks

Ron :

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer:

she says there is a line connected to a silver colored tube, and near that is a capped end and that could be where it is leaking.

Ron :

Its hard to say with out seeing it. Can you see it in the intake picture I sent?

Customer:

xf25-8543 is number next to this part.

Customer:

yf2e-ea is another number

Customer:

mean anything to you?

Ron :

Unfortunately that most likely an engineering number and not a complete one eaither.

Customer:

hose runs from top thermostat housing about an inch above ,then heads toward plenum.leak is just to left of that location.she can put a finger on that hose and slow down leak.

Ron :

I suspect that its a heater hose for the throttle body, the plenum is going to have to come off to get to the other end.

Customer:

so we are still looking at remaval of plenum, what are the replacement parts and idea of prices?

Ron :

To remove the upper plenum you are looking at 2 hours. The gasket runs &18.00 and The hose can likely be repaired with bulk heater hose.

Customer:

ok, now the instructions you sent, when i clicked on it ,it said i would leave chat but needed to accept answer.i can do that, but will i still be able to access the info?

Ron :

All you have to do is once you download them hit the back button and it returns to this question.

Customer:

ok are the part numbers available in that info as well?

Ron :

Here are part numbers and labor.

Manifold Gasket
UpperXF2Z9H486AA$3.69
Lower
RightXF2Z9439BA$18.60
LeftXF2Z9439AA$18.60

Customer:

ok, i think that is about all we can do for now. thanks

Customer:

i will go ahead an accept your answer

Ron :

Your very welcome, Thank you very Much as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs