Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Suddenly the engine started racing and wont stop

Customer Question

suddenly the engine started racing and won't stop
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
It is common for a failed PCV valve to cause this problem I'd start by replacing that and make sure replacement comes from the dealership. Disconnect the Idle Air Control (IAC) solenoid with the engine idling. This should cause the engine idle speed to drop low or the engine should stall. If the engine RPM does not decrease, crimp the crankcase ventilation tube closed which runs from the induction air tube to the valve cover and look for the engine RPM to drop to a low idle speed. If the RPM drops after crimping the hose closed, replace the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve with the appropriate Motorcraft valve and recheck the condition. If the idle speed is still high after crimping the PCV tube closed, remove the IAC solenoid and seal the IAC mounting with duct tape. Then restart the engine and look for the engine RPM to be low indicating a failure of the IAC solenoid. If the idle speed is still high with the IAC solenoid removed and taped over, inspect the throttle body and throttle plate for wear, damage, or anything that may result in the throttle being slight stuck open causing the high idle speed and service it as necessary.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried what you said and even relpaced the part and still when I take my foot off the gas the idel slowly comes back down but not as quickly as normal
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Is the check engine light on? What part did you replacE?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The answer worked great Know anything about a 2000 chevy venture van
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
I'm happy to hear I was able to help.....What is the question about the van? Please accept if my information has been helpfull. Thanks.