Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

95 ford mustang: V6..no egr flow, r/..vacuum..check engine light

Customer Question

have a 95 ford mustang V6, got error code p1407 no egr flow, r/r the dpfe sensor, cleared the code, it came back, r/r the egr and egr vacuum regulator, cleared the code, check engine light back on with same code? Help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

If you are sure your new DPFE isnt defective then its most likely the EGR passages are plugged and need to be cleaned., remove the upper intake manifold and look down inside the primary intake runners to see the EGR "orifices", metal discs about the size of a nickel with a hole in the middle. If the holes are plugged with carbon, use a stiff piece of wire or a drill bit to knock the carbon out, then remove the EGR valve and blow down through the "orifices" with shop air pressure to blow the loose carbon out. The EGR valve removal gives a place for the carbon to get out.

Customer:

OK I will try that, its where the tube froom the EGR connects to the manifold?

Ron :

No it in the intake, the upper intake has to come off to clean them.

Customer:

OK got it, any way I can check the DPFE or should I just return and get another one?

Customer:

So where the egr connects to the manifold? not the tube

Ron :

If you suspect it is defective, just replace it, but the EGR ports are pretty common as well on the 3.8.

Customer:

Do you have a diagram/picture for me?

Ron :

Would you like upper intake instructions?

Ron :

Here is the upper intake instructions.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer:

Will do this over weekend and close with you

Customer:

Thanks - Scoyy

Customer:

Meant Scott

Ron :

Ok Scott, if you need me I am here

Customer:

This did not work, light still on?

Ron :

So you cleaned the ports?

Customer:

Did not see any ports the upper intake had a port about the size of my pinkie, that ran straight to the EGR, was clean and no obstruction, this is a V6 3.8L, just to clarify, followed your instructions even cleaned all the other ports on the upper intake? So not sure I found was you suggested?

Ron :

That is the correct port. Let go back and retest the PFE, See if you can get you hands on a scan tool that can read the data stream and

Check sensor voltage in Data for about 1 volt. If ok, apply 6" of vacuum using a hand vacuum pump to the EGR valve and look for voltage to increase to around 4 volts, and, the engine to idle extremely rough. If DPFE voltage is less than 1 volt Key On Engine Off replace the faulty DPFE sensor.
Customer:

Great I will check this and get back to you, did replace the DPFE about 2-3 weeks ago, but it may be bad?

Ron :

This code is almost 99% of the time a defective DPFE.

Customer:

checked the voltage, key off on sig and ref tab, with grnd in middle tab=58.1mV, with key on = 4.99v constant, car started=4.99v constant, on both ref and sig tabs, applied vac pressure on egr = 6", never got below 4.99V, only with key off?

Ron :

The 4.9 volts is refference voltage , sounds like the DPFE is defective.

Customer:

Ok will get another one, voltage was checked with plug disconnected from DPFE, did not jumper it while connected. would that matter?

Ron :

No it need to be tested with it plugged in. Let me send you the complete pinpoint test.

Customer:

OK great, thanks for the help!

Ron :

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer:

Tried this and got caught at step H-18, dont have a PCM breakout box, dont know how to test some of the connectors? Any other help you can offer?

Ron :

If you dont have a break out box, you going to have to go from end to end (PCM to the Connector)