Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2001 Ford Expedition: wont Idle..stalls slowly, give it gas..sensors

My 2001 Ford Expedition starts, won't Idle, stalls slowly, give it gas and it runs? HELP! We replaced all the sensors but one. Look My Dad was taken from me unexpectatly and his best friend just passed away. They were Mechanics. I am a female. Please do not pull my leg. Thank you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective IAC (Idle Air Control) valve located on the throttle body of the upper intake manifold (see diagram below), I am also sending you test procedures. I hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

1. Keep the engine running by giving it just enough throttle to keep it from stalling.

2. With the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve connected, monitor the voltage across the 2 wires at the IAC valve connector. The higher the voltage, the harder the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is trying to raise the idle. Expect more than 4 volts if the idle is lower than normal.

3. Then, with the engine running at a low idle speed, unplug the connector, and if the RPM does not drop when the connector is unplugged, replace the IAC valve.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, as well as the loss of the family friend.

If you have more questions just ask, we are here to help as much as possible, and will only send you precise information.

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

I noticed you have viewed my answer.

By the way, it would help to know:

-Do you need more assistance?

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Please keep in mind that JustAnswer is set up on an honor system, and if you need more help please let me know, I won't know until I get a response back from you, if I have helped then just click on the ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.