Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

Ford: dim mirror..Temperature..My dealer..Message Center in the dash

Customer Question

I have a Ford 2007 Edge with SEL package that I purchased a Gentex (Ford Accessory) Auto dim mirror with Temperature and Compass on it. Not with Homelink. My dealer had sublet the installation out to another vendor and they couldn't figure out how to install and not have the Message Center in the dash of the car stop saying Compass not working. I called Gentex and I put the in contact with the dealer and they figured out how to do the wiring so both the compass on the dash (message center) and the mirror worked. I now have purchased a 2010 Ford Edge and wanted the mirror moved to that car and here we go again, they can't figure out how to install properly. I know it has to do with the wiring on the separate module, but I'm not sure how to tell them to do it. Somehow the wiring has to be split from the back of the mirror to the module. Can you help me?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
There were two extra wires on my standard mirror that were tucked up in the sleeve. I'm thinking these need to go in the module, but Superior (the Ford Specialist) hired to do this can't figure out how to install the temp/compass mirror without having to reset my message center compass. Gentex is the manufacture Any ideas?
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator here at Just Answer and will try to help you get an answer as you have been waiting for awhile. The response rate on Just Answer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions do go un-answered. Some of the common reasons found on some questions are:

1. The question is unclear.

2. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.

3. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online.

4. And sometimes, there just may not be an Expert available who feels they have the proper experience to reply.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would still like an answer yes and assistance. My Ford dealer and the sub they use to install the mirror has no clue. And I am 99.9% positive it can be done. My Ford Edge has a message center in it and had the compass reading there. However, after mirror is installed without module, the message center comes up-Compass No Response. I have to hit reset everytime i start the car. In my curious way I was fiddling around with the wiring on the temp/compass mirror they just installed and found two more wires (unhooked) stuffed up in the sleeve of the wiring cover. My thought is they still need the module they never removed from my old car and install the four wires into the connection into that (taking the right two off the mirror. But who am I?? Just a woman you know. What do we know. I appreciate your help, thanks again.
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'll open the question up to other Automotive categories and send a message to all the Experts in the Automotive categories. Let us know if someone doesn't reply. Thanks, Al.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay............

If the disconnection of the 2010 Mirror has caused the Message Center Error:

Quickest way & better way, would be to reinstall the original Mirror & Reprogram or fix the Message Center Error.
Then, using the "same" Factory Harness "Relocate" the 2010 Mirror elsewhere, under dash, out of site.
Install the old Gentex as that should have it's own Harness & would need to be wired in anyhow.
This way the Factory Equipment is not bothered, will not mess with Warranty & Compass should work in Message Center without Error Message

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. I appreciate your help, but I don't feel this is the wiring answer I was looking for. thanks.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Then I must have misunderstood your question.

Sorry for the confusion..........

There is no way for the Gentex wiring to be incorporated into the 2010 Ford to make the Message Center read correctly or to keep from "reseting", as that is a DATA Type circuit & without the 2010 Compass being connected, the same will happen.
The way I suggested, "will" keep all wiring intact & not cause a problem with Warranty.
The only other "possibility" is to Reprogram the BCM to tell the Message Center that there is No Compass

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this wiring or message center different than a 2007 Edge? Because if it isn't, Gentex did have directions on how to make it work and it did. unfortunately Superior who installed the same mirror in my 2007 and then got the correct installation from Gentex, can't remember how.. I tried Gentex again, but with no help. Thank you.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

Absolutely.........

I have been installing for Muth & Gentex for over 15 years & would not supply wrong info.
The older Gentex Mirror, has it's own Harness & cannot be incorporated into the 2010 DATA of the Message Center.
If you want trouble free, have them relocate the 2010 Mirror & install Gentex by itself, not using 2010 Ford Factory wires, which it appears that is what they did.
The extra 2 wires were probably the Reverse wires. Most do not hook those up. When vehicle is put into Reverse, it is supposed to Dim Mirror

Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience: Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, thank you for your help.
Expert:  Lurch replied 4 years ago.

THANK YOU
Thank You for using J/A