lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

I have 1993 Ford F150, 5 L engine, manual 5 speed transmission.

I have 1993 Ford F150, 5 L engine, manual 5 speed transmission. The problem is nothing happens when shifting to 5th or reverse. This start after launching the boat on a steep pad. It was left in reverse without using the emergency brake. It seemed stuck in gear and had to pull the shift lever hard, Now there is just 1st through 4th gear. Any ideas as to what may be wrong?
Thank You
Paul

Hi Paul this is lostrider, with both 5th and Reverse gone its either gotta be a broken shift fork or reverse/5th shift lever broken, this shift fork is not connected to the top loader, is on the side of the transmission, and the reverse leg from the top loader sits in the reverse lever, that is attached to the 5th/reverse shift rod and fork, here is a diagram, of the locations for the gears, #15-18 and 26 are for the shifting of the missing gears, hope this helps.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a picture of the shift tower and best practice of reinstalling it?

There is a lever at on the left rear of the box that is activated by the shift rod. This is the lever that actuates the reverse gear? I moved it back and forth, it was a little hard to move and I figured it must be activating a gear in the rear of the transmission I assumed was the reverse part. Thats the picture that you added I think.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just another question. I am satisfied with your first response.

Yes, that lever on the left rear is for the 5th/Reverse shift fork actuator rod, here is the best diagram of the top cover that I could find, it shows the shift forks, the easiest way to install the cover is to ensure all the synchronizer hubs are in the neutral position, not locked up on any gear and the same with the shift forks, then just set down on the trans.

graphic