George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My 2004 expedition a/c is not working. Compressor does not

Customer Question

My 2004 expedition a/c is not working. Compressor does not engage. Assume blown fuse. I located the panel but have no idea which fuse position serves the a/c. Help please. Its about 100 here in Texas.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The fuse for the AC compressor is the F1.11 in the Central junction block under the hood.

If the fuse is good the system must be full of R134a to have the relay close and allow power to the compressor. Check the fuse first

F1.11 is the red fuse in the left row next to the line of three relays

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In the Central junction block "under the hood"? Looking under the hood I don't see any fuse box but do see to the left of the engine, mounted on the firewall, three plugs into a sort of plate. The plugs are roughly 2"w X 1"h but none are red and appear to only be plugs not fuses. Is there somewhere else I should look. I found the standard fuse box inside the passenger compartment to the right of the passenger foot board. Is that where I am to look or actually under the hood by the engine?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Sorry on your vehicle it is the junction block on the right kick panel so the fuse will be next to the line of three relays

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry...but are the three ways the 1/2" square white fuses or the 1/2" x 3/4" black fuses? Is the a/c fuse one of the small fuses and what amp? The larges fuses are all solid so you can't see if they are even blown like with the small ones. This is the problem. I need either an identifying number on the fuse or an exact location. i.e. Top row of fuses, second from the left edge, 30a....etcetera. If you can help with a bit more precise detail.

Thanks.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The AC fuse is a 10 amp red blade type fuse in slot F1.11

Click here for location

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's what I'm talking about!

......Okay the fuse is not blown. So, nothing else electrical outside of the compressor could be shot I assume? If that is true...then you think I just need to have the system filled and the relay then should actuate?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

There are many reasons the computer will not turn the relay on, if it thinks the engine is overheating, if the signal that you want the AC on does not reach the computer, if the system is low on pressure the compressor will not be turned on to prevent it running low on oil, the relay may be closing but the coil on the compressor clutch may be burned open. All of these will have to be systematically checked to find the cause.

I start by attaching a gauge set to see the system pressure, doing a visual inspection of the compressor and lines, if the system is full I will jump the relay sockets with a paperclip to see if the compressor will run for a short time the I may do the same to the low pressure switch to see if it has failed.

of course if the system is low and that is the reason it does not run I have to look for the leaking component

As you can see there are may reasons that the system may not be coming on so if you have the time and a test light I can help you eliminate many of them but a set of AC gauges will be needed at some point.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay. Thanks for the helpful advice. I know just before it stopped working the air temp wasn't as cold as normal so I'm gonna have the system checked and filled if needed, then see if it cures the situation. After that...to Doctor Ford she goes!

Thanks again for the help!

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hope you can just fill it, I know how hot it is

Thanks for using JA!!