jimchill
jimchill, Ford Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a ford dealership
30684252

I have a 2006 Ford Fusion and my key is stuck in the ignition.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford Fusion and my key is stuck in the ignition. The car is showing in park how can i get the key out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
Hello And thank you for using Just Answer. Does the key turn at all and just won't come out of the cylinder? Jim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The key will turn to start vehicle, but when you turn it off it want come out. I have read different complaints on this and that it seem to be an ongoing problem with the 2006 fusion. There is no recallss on this.
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.

Your correct there is no recall on this but there is a Ford technical service bulletin. Bulletin number 07-14-7 dated july, 23,2007.

A binding shifter button could cause the interlock to not dis-engauge causing your key to be stuck in the cylinder. Bulletin states to push button in 5-10 times and try to remove key. If this does not work Ford has updated the shifter knob and button assembly group #7213 and replaced the knob and button. Also if the shifter slider is damaged or is binding,<this is the accordion piece that keeps stuff from going down into the shifter mechanism> to replace the shifter bezel also. Group # XXXXX Labot time is .4 hours which is 24 minutes for complete repair. Try the button process and let me know if that works out for you. Jim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What position does the key have to be in? Does it has to be where you can't shift in the off position or in the on position so the button goes in?
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
The bulletin does not specifly, but I would say to have the key in the off position and exercise the knob. I am trying to cut and paste the bulletin for you but for some reason it will not fly. I will keep trying and figure out a way so you can have it. Did you bring this to the Ford dealer for this concern? Jim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, they want 400.00 saying the apiece to replace something to do with the shifter.
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
I can almost assure you that they neglected to check for bulletins, That is the first thing they should do before attempting to diagnose any vehicle issue. Did you try they button process yet? Jim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes both ways but it didn't work.
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.
Let me work on getting the bulletin up loaded to you and we will continue from there. I will post back shortly. Thank you, Jim
Expert:  jimchill replied 4 years ago.

Here is a copy of the TSB<technical service bulletin> It sounds as if you are going to have to replace the shift knob and or bezel. The knob is an easy two screw removal and can be done with basic hand tools. Thank you, Jim

KEY STUCK IN IGNITION / SHIFTER BINDING CONDITION
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 07-14-7, Date of Issue: July 23, 2007
FORD:2006-2007 Fusion
LINCOLN:2006 Zephyr
MERCURY:2006-2007 Milan
Superceded Bulletin(s): 07-2-1, Date of Issue: February 5, 2007
Related Ref Number(s): 07-14-7, 07-2-1
ARTICLE BEGINNING
ISSUE
NOTE:This article supersedes TSB 07-2-1 to update the Part List.

Some 2006-2007 Fusion, Milan and 2006 Zephyr vehicles built before 9/4/2006 may exhibit a customer concern of the ignition key getting trapped or a shifter slider binding condition. Most Of the key trapped conditions are caused due to a binding shifter button which does not allow the pawl to contact the park detect switch.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
If the key will not release from the ignition cylinder lock follow the Key Trapped procedure. On vehicles with a hard-to-shift shift lever into park or slider bunching/binding then follow the Shifter Slider Binding procedure.
KEY TRAPPED
Actuate knob button 5-10 times, observe for binding or sticky condition.
Replace knob assembly if the knob sticks following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-05
NOTE:WHEN REPLACING THE SHIFT KNOB DO NOT REUSE THE SCREWS. REMOVE AND DISCARD THE SCREWS. INSTALL TWO NEW SCREWS AND TIGHTEN TO 18 LB-IN (2 N.m). DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREWS OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

SHIFTER SLIDER BINDING
If shifter slider is bunched up or binding, replace bezel assembly following WSM, Section 307-05.
NOTE:WHEN REPLACING THE BEZEL, CARE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN TO ENSURE THAT THE BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK OVERRIDE TAB IS PROPERLY ALIGNED INTO ITS GUIDE. REFER TO Fig. 1.

Fig. 1: Brake Shift Interlock Override Tab Alignment
NOTE:WHEN REINSTALLING THE SHIFT KNOB DO NOT REUSE THE SCREWS. REMOVE AND DISCARD THE SCREWS. INSTALL TWO NEW SCREWS AND TIGHTEN TO 18 LB-IN (2 N.m). DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREWS OR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

NOTE:IF OVERRIDE CAP IS DAMAGED DURING REPAIR, IT IS AVAILABLE SEPARATELY.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part NumberPart Name
6E5Z-7D443-BBezel Assy. - Black w/FNR5 Trans (Fusion-Milan)
6E5Z-7D443-CBezel Assy. - Black w/Aisin F21 Trans (Fusion-Milan)
6H6Z-7D443-ABezel Assy. - Satin Nickel (Zephyr)
6E5Z-7213-CKnob Assy. - Black (Fusion-Milan)
6H6Z-7213-AKnob Assy. - Charcoal (Zephyr)
6H6Z-7213-BKnob Assy. - Charcoal-OD (Zephyr)
6E5Z-7A214-BOverride Cap-Black (Fusion-Milan)
6H6Z-7A214-AOverride Cap-Satin Nickel (Zephyr)
W790088-S901Screw (2 Req)

WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
IMPORTANT:Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
OperationDescriptionTime
071407A2006-2007 Fusion, Milan And 2006 Zephyr: Replace Knob Assembly, Includes Time To Diagnose And Verify Repair (Do Not Use With 04536A, 04536B, 7213A)0.3 Hr.
071407B2006-2007 Fusion, Milan and 2006 Zephyr: Replace Bezel Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose And Verify Repair (Do Not Use With 04536A, 04536B, 7213A)0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
Basic Part No.Condition Code
7213