A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 1994 F150 XL and my airbag light blinks. Can you

I have a 1994 F150 XL and my airbag light blinks. Can you tell me what areas need to be checked and exactly where they are (a picture sure would be nice). Also, when I turn the engine off, a two tone chime rings three times. What is the chiming"s purpose

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

The flashing air bag light is flashing out a trouble code.

First turn the key on and count the flashes. The codes are 2 digit code. it will flash the first half of the code and then stop shortly and then flash out the second number. Count the flashes and post the code on this page.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The code is 32.

Below is a link for the pin point test for code 32.

More than likely it is the click spring.

The clock spring connects the horn and cruise control buttons to the harness on the steering column. It is a ribbon of wire that wraps around the steering shaft in and enclosed case to allow the steering wheel to turn and the horn, air bag and cruise control buttons can remain connected to the circuits in the truck.

Below is directions on replacing the clock spring.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the two tone chime have anything to do with this? I know it's not a "lights on" or "keys left in ignition" warning, but it has been on, as has the flashing airbag light, since I bought the used truck from a private party.
It is very possible. Does it chime constantly or a couple of chimes, and then quiet for a while and then a couple of chimes again?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The chime starts about five seconds after you turn the engine off. The chime comes from behind the left ear of the driver. The chime rings 1212 1212 1212, with 1 & 2 being two different tones. It only ever rings this 3 sets of 2 double tones five seconds after the engine is turned off.
This chime comes from behind the seat on the drivers side?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. It seems to be near the top of the driver side (rear cab) panel or the top of the back panel next to the side panel (rear,right corner of extended cab behind driver).
I just searched the shop manual component location charts. Ford did not mount any modules back there in your truck. You might want to remove the panel to see what is back there. Ford has nothing that will chime back there when the key is removed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the confusion, we had a power spike and it took the computer down. Glad I was able to find you. I guess I will locate this component when I have a little spare time and go from there. I appreciate your support and will not continue further on this subject today. I accept your answer and will click the "accept" button when it comes up again. Thanks again!

Just keep me informed.