A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2004 Ford Mustang gt: wont start..itll run fine once cranked..dome

Customer Question

My 2004 Ford Mustang gt wont start sometime. It'll run fine once cranked, but about once a week when I have shut off and get back in to crank it later, everything is dead. Dash, dome lght, radio, everything. If I let it sit for a few minutes everything will come back on as normal and itll fire up. What's causing this? I just put a brand new Bosch battery in about a month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

Did it do this before the battery replacement?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it did. I've only had the car for about 2 months and it didnt do it at all the first month. The all of a sudden it started. That's when I replaced the battery.It was fine for a couple weeks and it started doing it again. It bothers me because its not consistent. I don't know when I'm going to be somewhere and shut off and not be able to start. One other thing I noticed is once it wont start and it finally cranks again, all the gauges go all the way over to the right; rpms, fuel, battery voltage, oil..once it's cranked good they resume their normal position.

Check the battery cables and where they mount to the fuse box under the hood. Make sure the connections are lean and tight. Loose connections can cause the very same problem.

make sure all the corrosion is cleaned of the cable ends and double check the ground cable at the starter bolt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Ill try that. So bad cables or connections could cause the sporatic deadness?
Yes. The only thing in line with the battery and the ignition switch are fuses, and they do not reset themselves. There are no relays that will cause the whole vehicle to be dead all at once. Only the battery cables, the positive and negative, check them both. Also all there connection points. Wiggle the cables and wires around and see if you can get it to do it while you are under the hood.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome. Thank you so much I'll try that first thing in the morning.

No problem.
You are very welcome.

If you need any more help, just ask on this page.

I 'll be online tomorrow from time to time, mainly in the evening.