Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone

2020 ford F150: only works while in park

Customer Question

the radio in my 2020 ford F150 only works while in park. how do i fix this. just bought it used.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
You will need to check the fuse box and GEM modules for water intrusion.
Do this first and get back to me.

The GEM and fuse box are located drives side of the dash. The GEM is behind the fuse panel.
Can you find any evidence of water?

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. CAUTION: Prior to removal of the GEM, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to a diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed.
  2. Remove the steering column cover.

1. Remove the (A) bulkhead electrical connectors from the (B) instrument panel fuse junction panel.

1. Remove the (A) instrument panel fuse junction panel bolts and remove the (B) interior fuse junction panel nuts.

1. Disconnect the (A) GEM/CTM electrical connectors from the (B) GEM/CTM.

1. Remove the screws and the GEM/CTM.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Check for correct operation.

CAUTION: Once the new GEM is installed, it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the diagnostic tool into the new module.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what kind of tool is needed to download the config? all i have is a code reader

Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
sorry I was just using this as an example of how to get to the GEM.

Actually if the GEM needs to be replaced you can do a swap with one from a junk yard from a truck with the same options. this has worked well from customers on this site.
i would just inspect for now. If it needs to be replaced do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
looked at the pc board and see no evidence of damage
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should i put the unit back in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it doesn't look damaged.

Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
sorry for delay, if it looks ok, put it back in.
Has anything changed in the way it works?